Inquiring minds want to know

kjbar

Inquiring minds want to know

Post by kjbar »

I've been pondering something recently and I'm wondering what other people's opinions might be.

When I was a newly certified elementary teacher (in the midwestern U.S.) and applying for jobs in 2010 I sent out around 100 applications, had six interviews, and two job offers.

While applying for elementary jobs at international schools this past fall I sent out around 30 applications, had seven interviews, and six job offers.

My questions are: Is it easier to get hired internationally than domestically or was my previous experience colored by an economy coming out of the recession? Does it seem easier to get hired now simply because I have several years of experience and experience is valued both domestically and internationally? Thoughts?
Thames Pirate

Re: Inquiring minds want to know

Post by Thames Pirate »

Both.

The recession was a HUGE factor, especially in 2010, in DS. It's getting easier to find jobs now because schools are hiring again. I got pink slipped in 2009 (was able to keep my job), and nobody new was hired in the district in 2009 or 2010 (other than more specialized positions). In fact, the only reason we avoided layoffs was because of attrition and very good bargaining on both sides. So it was a crummy year when you were applying.

However, for IE there are two sides to the coin. It is easy to get jobs in some schools, very difficult in others. You can get interviews and offers if you are open, but top schools are MUCH more selective.

Timing also matters. DS hiring takes place almost exclusively May-August/September (depending on the district), while ISs hire in bulk in Jan/Feb but do hire earlier or later depending on when teachers decide to move on.

Without knowing when you applied, to which regions/countries/schools you applied, etc. it's hard to say. Not to mention that you have more experience and references (I would imagine) now.
muguet

Re: Inquiring minds want to know

Post by muguet »

I've had a similar experience and think it is true that it is easier to get hired internationally. Just think about how many hoops you had to jump through for applying to domestic schools- usually multiple in person interviews, essay style questions submitted, sometimes a video or demo lesson plan submitted, and sometimes even taking a day to fly to the school and teach a lesson/ interview with staff. You can get an international offer after one 45 minute Skype interview. To me there is no question.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The IE market is a reflection of the DE market. IW is about a year behind what happens domestically. The recession had a huge impact on the IE labor pool. A lot of DTs flooded the IE market looking for a job, any job, and recruiters could be selective. IS endowments shrunk in upper tier ISs as enrollment fell because multinationals werent hiring and werent sending employees on long term contract overseas. That meant ISs had smaller and fewer classrooms, and student populations. Effectively it meant fewer positions and a much larger pool of candidates.

There has also been a tremendous amount of global growth in IE, but all most all of it has been in the third tier, while upper tier growth is flat. This creates a lower ceiling for ITs they can enter IE easily enough but spend longer times waiting for upper tier vacancies, and there is more competition for them.

I disagree with @Thames Pirate in regards to timing. Timing isnt much of an issue its very effective the way the recruiting cycle is set up. Your not recruiting for a DS in the spring or summer at the same time you would for IE. With recruiting in the winter you know well in advance if you need to give your DS notice of leaving or non-renewing your contract. This is a significant problem of concern in DoDDS where recruiting can last until October and DTs are breaking contract if and when they get an offer/appointment for DoDDS.

Of course you are also more marketable now then you were 6 years ago in 2010, you have demonstrable experience, have managed a classroom, and have your performance component well practiced. Your resume has more utility and thus more marketability. IE is not the best place for an intern class IT to make their bones.

It easier now, the DE system has recovered and IE on average pays much less than DE. You really need to be at a upper tier IS to make the coin youd get in a large metropolitan district even as a first year DT. Its very difficult to pitch a prospective IT to take a significant pay cut to live abroad and then after half a decade be closer to what they were making before. Thats whats happening now is that DTs are staying unless the IS is in a region that a DTs family wants to try living in for a period of time.

The process for direct recruiting is very different, DSs want in person interviews limiting applicants to the local demographic or requiring expensive travel that a DS isnt going to absorb. Even at the most basic level you have vastly differing application procedures for IE you can send an email and application packet takes a minute. For a DS you have to wade through a 6-8 page application, and each IS is different, thats about an hours work.