sid

Re: Bantleman

Post by sid »

Hear, hear!
interteach

Post by interteach »

Two possibilities here:

1. Psyguy is a friend of the ISR owners, which is why he is allowed to hijack the forum, the purpose of which is to stink up the place and thus drive people over to the paid side of the forum (unless he's also posting like mad there).

2. The ISR owners have no sympathy for mental illness.

These possibilities are inspired by PG's legal theories of the Bantleman case, but I believe are more plausible.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

Alternate possibility: PsyGuy regularly posts the raw reality of situations, but people often don't like to hear that - they like to hear butterflies and rainbows. The reality of this expat life is tough, and people shouldn't be encouraged to do it at all costs just because others have enjoyed it (casting an eye back on some other posts that PG has faced a lot of criticism in).

PG has become vilified in these forums and I honestly feel there's a bit of mob mentality here. People post something and then as soon as PG posts everyone jumps on him an attacks him. Hey, a lot of the stuff he writes I disagree with as well, but a lot of it I think is accurate, and with this one here...well, I don't know many details of the case and I am certainly not on the ground as the local police and judiciary are so I'm not going to make much comment on it because I simply don't know.

As for PG himself - well, that ridiculous post made by this post's OP saying that 'I'm leaving the forum because *PG* disagrees with me and is a nastypants always writing things I don't agree with' is unbelievably childish, especially calling someone out like that (we all knew who you were talking about). He is repeatedly personally attacked in these forums when he comments, yet no-one seems to have a problem with that.

PG - keep doing what you're doing, keep commenting and offering your input. Some of us find it valuable.
Artrageous

Post by Artrageous »

I respectfully disagree with the previous poster. Having read a fair amount of PG's posts, it would seem as if he likes to appear knowledgeable about almost every country and every school in the world. He posts so often that I seriously doubt he has time to actually work anywhere. I take everything he states with a large grain of salt and usually just scroll past his posts as I think he is a troll, using this forum to stir up trouble.

This particular case is one that I am familiar with as I have done a lot of reading, followed it in the media and have friends who work at the school.I honestly believe the two men are innocent, and probably the cleaners too, and I stand by my opinion and wish for a good outcome for them all. I doubt that PG has done much honest research and is simply spouting his viewpoint to cause trouble.
hallier

Post by hallier »

If you want to support a fellow international school teacher, here is 1 Facebook page you may want to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1510822339131020/
Last edited by hallier on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
hallier

Re: Reply

Post by hallier »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Cheery Littlebottom
>
> You can believe whatever you want, some people believe a spaghetti monster
> seeded the earth with humans. It doesnt change that you werent there, you
> dont know what did and did not happen, and you could just as easily be
> advocating for the release of a child sex offender.
> More importantly no one in the Indonesian government cares what some IT or
> group of ITs who are armchair quarterbacking their judicial system thinks
> feels or believes.

Does it bother you that this person may be a teacher at JIS who is suffering unbelievable stress and grief over what has happened? Try to walk in their shoes and imagine how they felt getting to work on Thursday morning and finding out what the court had decided - especially as they feel Neil and Ferdi have done nothing wrong.

Rather than seeing this as an opportunity to be a contrarian or win a debate, why not just try to be kind? It's not that hard.

Be nice.
teller

Post by teller »

"Rather than seeing this as an opportunity to be a contrarian or win a debate, why not just try to be kind? It's not that hard.

Be nice."

^^This
prince15

Post by prince15 »

hallier wrote:
>
> Rather than seeing this as an opportunity to be a contrarian or win a debate, why not
> just try to be kind? It's not that hard.
>
> Be nice.

fo·rum: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
hallier

Post by hallier »

prince15 wrote:
> hallier wrote:
> >
> > Rather than seeing this as an opportunity to be a contrarian or win a debate,
> why not
> > just try to be kind? It's not that hard.
> >
> > Be nice.
>
>
> fo·rum: a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can
> be exchanged.

Did the read the context in which I made this statement?

This is a very unique situation that I believe requires a degree of sensitivity and civility - unlike, for example, a discussion about IB vs AP, or teaching in the Middle East vs teaching in SE Asia.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

s0830887 wrote:
> Alternate possibility: PsyGuy regularly posts the raw reality of
> situations, but people often don't like to hear that - they like to hear
> butterflies and rainbows. The reality of this expat life is tough, and
> people shouldn't be encouraged to do it at all costs just because others
> have enjoyed it (casting an eye back on some other posts that PG has faced
> a lot of criticism in).
>
> PG has become vilified in these forums and I honestly feel there's a bit of
> mob mentality here. People post something and then as soon as PG posts
> everyone jumps on him an attacks him. Hey, a lot of the stuff he writes I
> disagree with as well, but a lot of it I think is accurate, and with this
> one here...well, I don't know many details of the case and I am certainly
> not on the ground as the local police and judiciary are so I'm not going to
> make much comment on it because I simply don't know.
>
> As for PG himself - well, that ridiculous post made by this post's OP
> saying that 'I'm leaving the forum because *PG* disagrees with me and is a
> nastypants always writing things I don't agree with' is unbelievably
> childish, especially calling someone out like that (we all knew who you
> were talking about). He is repeatedly personally attacked in these forums
> when he comments, yet no-one seems to have a problem with that.
>
> PG - keep doing what you're doing, keep commenting and offering your input.
> Some of us find it valuable.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well put! You have hit the nail on the head!!! I find it deplorable that teachers should want to silence a poster. This sounds like the school I work for that goes on witch hunts every time another well-deserved, lousy review of them appears on ISR.
Ifyousayso

Post by Ifyousayso »

I don't know if he is guilty. I have heard his side, it's plausible, I have heard the other side, it's less plausible but I don't know for sure and there are very few people who do. It it well known that Indonesia is corrupt. If these countrys were run they way they should be run, the way they could be run there would be very little work for Western teachers to teach local kids. International education would shrink to teaching the ex pats as it used to be. This is a risk that ex pats choose to take when they choose to work in these countries. Obviously you will fight it if it happens to you and if he is innocent then I wish him all the best but work in these countries with your eyes open
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Ifyousayso

Agree, we dont know, NB knows, the kid may know somewhere deep in the recesses of him mind after going through such a traumatic ordeal. Which has been the position Ive maintained the entire time.

I dont fully agree with the scenario that if these regions were governed as western regions there would be a lot fewer ITs. Looking at HK and SG highly organized educational standards and curriculum but still a lot of demand (given their size and population) for western ITs, English as the means of instruction is still a valued pursuit. There would be some loss, but even with affluent host nationals there is a value and desire to chase western programs in English.