Business studies job market?

cam2016

Business studies job market?

Post by cam2016 »

Hello, I have a trailing spouse with a bachelor's in business. Said spouse is thinking of getting a teaching degree while we are overseas at my new posting. Looking at the TeacherReady program out of Florida, it looks like a way to a teaching degree but it pretty much gets you certified in the field of your undergrad degree. I'm not sure if there is demand for business studies, or it it would be better to do a complete online masters and pick a different area of certification?

The benefits of the TeacherReady program would be much lower cost and time commitment.
fine dude

Re: Business studies job market?

Post by fine dude »

Adding economics should increase your saleability.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

IB Business and Management would be a good fit too.
santacruzin1

Post by santacruzin1 »

TeacherReady lets you get certified in any area you choose, you're not limited by what your college major was. Though you would need to find either a mentor who teaches that subject in order to do the field experience parts of the program or an administrator to observe you if you can get your own classroom.

Also, Florida DoE lets you add additional certification areas by examination. Once you've got your initial certification (in any subject), you can add an additional certification area by taking the relevant FTCE subject test.

Double-check with TeacherReady, but this was all true when I started in December 2014. Their staff are quite helpful & quickly respond to emails.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Teach Ready does not give you a teaching/education degree you get a handful of credits and they do have a program for a joint Masters, but the basic certification program does not involve a degree (and their degree is close to worthless).

Yes, Teach Ready generally works with your academic major background, you can however add whatever certifications you want after youre certified by completing the FTCE.

Business Studies/Management, Economics has moderate saturation. Especially, if your spouse adds the economics and a general social studies credential.

If your spouse has access to a classroom for a term 12 weeks the Teach Now program has advantages over the Teach Ready program.