Job Offer Question

newcounsel

Job Offer Question

Post by newcounsel »

Hello I'm excited that I was given an offer in the UAE. But I have a few question before I accept later in the week. IS living off 13000AED a month reasonable in Dubai? The school is paying my child's tuition ( will that cover all other expenses), They informed me I would have to pay for his lunch but he can have breakfast, housing is included but not electricity or water. Is there anything that should be negotiable ? This is my first overseas job so I appreciate any feedback. Also, what opportunity can my husband have there?
chuck

Re: Job Offer Question

Post by chuck »

That's enough money. Not much left over unless your husband gets a job (could supply teach at your school). Otherwise, you could tutor for extra money, quite lucrative. Many schools allow it, sometimes even in your classroom after hours. Not sure what the going rate is currently (was 200 dirhams/hr in 2009).
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

That salary is about the low end of IE. Tuition waivers generally cover base fees, it often does not include uniforms, daily meals or other miscellaneous fees (such as technology fees, etc.) For the region is really a bottom of the barrel appointment.
What is your travel, transportation and flight allowance? Any relocation or shipping? What about health/social insurance (is there a plan or annual bonus)? Is there a gratuity?

At this point your best negotiation strategy is for a housing allowance, which may allow you to cover utility costs or a better residence. This IS isnt offering much and likely will just move on if you try to push.

Your spouse could easily tutor, even ESOL is very common if the IS isnt willing to throw a PT appointment into the package.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

If housing is provided, then you'll be okay. If not, then pass.
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

Thank you so much. They are providing housing for me but I will have to pay utilities . One trip a year to home country and world insurance will be paid for. No shipping allowance is being offered. What is considered a good salary if 13,000 is low.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@newcounsel

Examine the world insurance policy carefully especially if traveling to the US. Benefits and coverage for the US can be drastically different than any and all other regions.

SAR15K is mid third tier, SAR20K is mid second tier, SAR25K is mid first tier, +/-SAR2K with respective increases in OSH benefits. Elite ISs just pay a lot.