American School in Guatemala

themeleks

Post by themeleks »

Hey, anybody know anything about this school. They have a ton of information on their web site and they seem good, but I think there is a lot of crime in Guatemala. Plus most of their staff is native. I'm not sure how many North Americans they really want to hire, but they have openings posted on TIE.

Well we'd appreciate any information. We'd love to go to a spanish speaking country.

Thanks.
scribe

Guatamala

Post by scribe »

Guatemala is a beautiful and interesting country. The school will primarily be local population, but the kids will be pretty endearing. It does seem the school sincerely wants more foreign hires, they've adjusted their package to make it more attractive to same.
We know one couple at our previous international school who was aggressively recruited byASG and, although it was their #2 choice and they luckily got their #1 choice, in the meantime ASG altered their package to include tuition for kids, travel, etc. We know of another couple with children who've been there two years - left a terrific, high paying public school system in the US for it - and they love it - they appear on the testimonial page of the web site, as a matter of fact.
As in any Central American school, life will be pretty cheap and enjoyable, but don't count on making major payments back in the US - can't do it. If we were younger, without mortgage and college tuitions back in the US, based upon reputation, this is a school we'd want to be at.
Jaime Clifton

Post by Jaime Clifton »

I am not sure if you are talking about CAG or another school. CAG stands for Colegio Americano de Guatemala. At CAG much of the staff is foreign - about 60 or so. There are many things to do with the foreign staff - traveling, parties, sports, dinners. However, the locals are amazing, so I wouldn't recommend spending all of your time with the foreign hires.

I believe CAG pays well. It is my first international job though so I can't compare it to anything. I don't have any debt, but travel almost every weekend. It is pretty cheap to travel in Guatemala. The school provides quite a bit in their package. I think all of the information is listed on their site.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
neveah

Post by neveah »

Scribe & Jamie Clifton

I tried to pm both of you, but that is not allowed on this board. I have some more questions to ask you. Can I email you?
Jaime Clifton

Guatemala

Post by Jaime Clifton »

Sure. What is your email?
neveah

Post by neveah »

Reignman

Post by Reignman »

I have been in contact with the American School of Guatemala and already had two interviews over the phone. Their website has lots of information and it seems like a good place, but I've heard that Guatemala City is big, polluted and a bit dangerous. This really is my main concern - any advice? Is it a nice place to live/teach? Thanks!
Ellen

how safe?

Post by Ellen »

Rainman
I too have seen a posting I would like to have inGuatemala but am worried about the crime. Can anyone help me out and tell me about how safe it is there. Obviously some areas are not safe in any city but generally speaking how safe can you feel when you are in public? I speak Spanish to a degree but my husband does not.