Canada

Lebenstraum

Canada

Post by Lebenstraum »

Without trying to get into a political discussion, the following article appeared in the Washington Post newspaper today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... ?tid=sm_fb

Basically a small town in Canada that is losing population has advertised to Americans to move there if Donald Trump becomes president. The area looks beautiful and I'd love to go there for a vacation, but it's got me thinking more about Canada....is it possible for a US teacher to move and teach in Canada? There do not seem to be many international schools. Can local Canadian schools hire from abroad? Thanks
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Possible yes, but improbable. its not a very easy process:

1) Most of the provinces wont even issue a provincial CAN credential if you dont have a SIN or already have authorization to work.
2) CAN has a lot of DTs, its a very saturated market with a large labor pool. Many CAN DTs are on short term contracts, comparable to long term substitutes in the States. The vacancies that would potentially go to OSHs are in rural hardship locations, not Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, etc.
3) You wont be eligible for a CAN credential if you went an alternative certification route, or were certified by examination or assessment. If you have an appropriate major/degree in a teaching field you will get that certification assuming you completed your EPP/ITT through an academic route.
4) There are ISs in CAN in the form of independent/private DSs, but its a convoluted process to hire a foreign IT/DT for a CAN municipal DS.
5) A municipal DS isnt going to offer you a package outside of salary and social insurance.
Lebenstraum

Re: Canada

Post by Lebenstraum »

Thanks for the reply. Disappointing, but I am not surprised really.