feeling like giving up

martalin

feeling like giving up

Post by martalin »

Is it too soon to feel like giving up on finding a job completely?
shadowjack

Re: feeling like giving up

Post by shadowjack »

Still jobs out there. Are you a math teacher? I know of several schools hiring. Check out Tieonline, Search database, CIS, tesjobs.co.uk and more. Don't give up hope just yet!
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I didn't get my current job until the end of April. I have no issues being sloppy seconds because I'm at a really good school that might have been out of my league otherwise.
josh2588

Post by josh2588 »

Definitely not. I feel like being persistent is a huge factor here. You can follow up with schools, or continue compiling a list of IS's in the region(s) you're looking at and applying directly to them. For my current job, I got hired in the middle of August (a week into the school year) due to a sudden increase in student enrolment.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

Let me be the contrarian: yes, give up. If you can't keep going now, how are you going to keep going when you end up in a place with a different culture, healthcare system, etc.? Not to mention Zika, corruption, MERS, nothing but cloudy days, etc. depending on if you get lucky enough and actually get an offer. Give up. Do something else.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@reisgio has a very valid position and response. Many IT candidates are very used to feeling special because they have survived and persevered through the struggles of DE. That and $5 will get you a Frappuccino at Starbucks. You need to get used to rejection, IE isnt except for superstar ITs like college athletic recruiting for a Div.I Uni. The reality of the system as ISs and recruiters have composed it is such that you are going to want them more than they want you. This isnt some Rom-Com where the ugly duckling gets the princess/prince at the end with anything other than persistence.

It is however not to late, peak recruiting has ended but there are still many ISs that will have continual recruiting and future staffing needs.
You should take this opportunity to re-examine your process. Are you very restricted in location or tier? Is your teaching area in low demand. Is anyone of your references sabotaging you? Do you need some work on your interview and resume skills? Do you have some logistical issue such as family size thats a deal breaker? Are your expectations too high?
Vernacular

Post by Vernacular »

Much too soon to give up.
senator

Post by senator »

Martalin:

I got the flu during my first job fair. I went to the first day at ISS Boston, had about 15 interview requests in my box, then got ill and had to go home.

I figured I would have to wait a year and try again.

In May of that year a high school principal from a nice little school in southern China called me - this was pre-email days - and offered me a job.

It's never too late. Anything can happen - people back out of contracts, others decide to give notice later, references are checked and teachers who got hired are suddenly fired.

Just keep checking all sites and databases for open positions and keep sending out applications.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

What do you teach, martalin? There are some vacancies at my school that I don't think have been advertised yet...
EllieSLP

Post by EllieSLP »

I'm not giving up, but OP I feel this way too. I have finished "second" twice and am a little discouraged. Nonetheless, I know that I probably wasn't the best fit for the schools and that I will find something down the line.
booboo14

Post by booboo14 »

I still see 900 jobs on tie although I don't know how deligent schools are at deleting their filled vacancies. On Search a lot of positions over a month old. Seems like some schools take a while to fill their positions. Anyways I knew I couldn't compete during the first round but hoping to land something by the end of the school year. I had two schools contacting me in March last year out of the blue.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@booboo14

ISs generally fill vacancies quickly. Some fill in days some weeks, and while some take a month or longer its generally not a protracted process. Recruiters just havent cleaned up the vacancy announcements, especially on TIE where recruiters pay a set fee per posting, not per hire.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

I just was offered a contract yesterday. Definitely not too late.
MartElla

Post by MartElla »

There's a reason why still have a Bangkok and London fair, with the Dubai one just having finished. There are still jobs to be filled, and still schools looking. There are over 600 international jobs on TES.

They might not be the dream school, although some might be, but I bet there's a few "right" schools in there for anyone.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@MartElla

The Dubai and Spring BKK and LON fairs are dump fairs. They are only worth attending those fairs if you are local. I do concur however that there are still jobs.