UNI Fair

Teach1010

UNI Fair

Post by Teach1010 »

I've seen some comments about the UNI fair not being one of the preferred fairs for more experienced ITs. A lot of the negativity seems to be centered around the quality of schools that tend to attend. Nevertheless, there are quite a few schools registered for it this year that I would be interested in (though I won't be attending any fairs until next recruiting season). With it being later in the season (early February), is it fair to say schools may be a little less selective at that fair? I also fear that waiting for that fair is a little risky since a lot of positions would likely have been filled by that time. Can anyone who has attended this fair speak to those questions?
heyteach

Re: UNI Fair

Post by heyteach »

Those negative comments all come from the same, uninformed source. There are a number of good schools that recruit at UNI. I found that schools were actively hiring, not just fishing. I came away with several offers and chose a good one. I have met experienced teachers there who prefer UNI to the big meat-market fairs.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The quality of ISs at UNI is lower and while there are a few veteran ITs and sprinkling of upper tier ISs, its audience is entry level ITs. Its after the peak window in recruiting, better and more desirable offers have already been made, and vacancies closed with their acceptance. The candidate pool is largely inexperienced and naive (and some veteran ITS hope to take advantage of the knowledge/experience differential).

The ISs that compose the majority of the UNI recruiting attendees are less selective to begin with, they are more marketable when you remove the competition of better ISs from the equation. You put a Honda up to a Mercedes and the Honda doesnt 'sell' well in comparison. Put the Honda in the same showroom as a Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, and its marketability is similar to the others. Those UNI ISs werent selective before, it just wasnt the best expenditure of resources in maximizing their pitch, because the IT candidates as a group are less selective. The ITs hoping and holding out for dream appointments have filled, and as recruiting progresses the focus of ITs is centered on a job thats part of their path to the dream appointment, as opposed to obtaining that dream appointment directly. Its the same mentality after the winners of the lottery have been announced, you didnt win the prize, so ITs move on to what they can accomplish.
Overhere

Re: UNI Fair

Post by Overhere »

Posters can say what they want about the UNI Fair, but my wife and I landed jobs there on two different occasions at schools that provided us with a great experience both professionally and personally.