A bird in the hand is worth...?

gmanrex

A bird in the hand is worth...?

Post by gmanrex »

No doubt this has come up before, but here is my situation:

On the table is a good offer from a good school in a place I want to be.

But I just interviewed with school that I'd only DREAMED of getting a job at, but they are still a ways out from making a decision.

Thoughts/Advice are welcome.
EllieSLP

Re: A bird in the hand is worth...?

Post by EllieSLP »

I'm in this situation now. I can tell you what a colleague did. When she was in this situation, she contacted the dream job and stated that she would like to work at School A because it was her dream job, but that school B made her an offer. Would it be possible to know whether she would receive another interview or not? It was a bold move, but it worked out in her favour as School A responded with a second interview and subsequently gave her the job. It may be risky, I'm going to do it in my case. I have nothing to lose. I'm sure some people on this forum would disagree, but it would for my colleague and it's better to be proactive (not pushy or aggressive) than to not know.
erbear28

Post by erbear28 »

Absolutely agree with EllieSLP - ask for what you want. Tell dream job you just had an offer but they are your number one choice and see what they say. Better to ask and know and then not and always wonder :) Good luck! What a great position to be in.
kjbar

Post by kjbar »

I also agree with EllieSLP. I did the same thing just a few days ago and I ended up with the job I wanted!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@gmanrex

What type of IS is it? The previous contributors have offered strong advice but it has several issues 1) The answer may well be no, and you risk being labeled a diva or prima donna. Leadership likes to take the time that they take, and they dont want to feel pressured into a position by what they may perceive as a competitive but average candidate. 2) This has become more common, and by ITs who dont actually have a competing offer, they want to create the same feeling of scarcity in recruiters/leadership as they inspire in ITs at fairs, etc. ISs dont like being played against one another.

If your dream IS is a very popular IS you have a stronger probability of being told no. Regardless dont disclose the identity of the IS.

THE GOOD:

Approach the dream IS, and tell them you have a competing offer, they are your preferred option, but you dont have a lot of time to reply to the offer on the table.

THE BAD:

Delay the first IS as long as you can in hopes that the dream IS makes you an offer in the interim. The risk is the offering IS may not give you much time, and the response form the dream IS may be no.

THE UGLY:

Accept the current offer, and IF and when the dream IS offers you a position you can accept and then withdraw your previous IS when that time comes. The dream IS might never make you an offer making the whole issue moot.