List of Schools for TS and Dependents

BentoBeth

List of Schools for TS and Dependents

Post by BentoBeth »

I would like to compile a list of schools that do not shy away from a teacher with a Trailing Spouse and (2) kids. I am going to be entering the international circuit in two and half years and I am a big pre-planner. ;)

(DODDS is my ideal/dream job, but I need to be realistic about my chances (History teacher) and look all over.) So if you've been to a school that is great and doesn't mind dependents, let me know!
shadowjack

Re: List of Schools for TS and Dependents

Post by shadowjack »

It all comes down to supply and demand.

Try QSI.Some people like 'em. Others loathe 'em. But they do hire that scenario in certain cases.
Fstop

Post by Fstop »

There is no list. It completely depends on the needs of the school and how much they want you. There are schools that will not hire people with dependents (ISHMC, NIST) but they usually put this on their Search profile.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Bentobeth, you sound like us in 2007. I hadn't even started my B.Ed. at the time. Wasn't ready to go overseas until 2011 (after my wife had also done her B.Ed.). I made lists and lists of schools at that time. I've lost most of them now, and after eight years they'd be pretty redundant anyway. Mind you, I've committed much of the info to my brain.

We started with one kid, had another whilst working at our first international school, then moved to our second school. We are now looking to move again, and while I can't say we are inundated with offers, we do have interest (waiting to hear after an interview).
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You have a great challenge ahead of you. There isnt such a list and even if there was it would be quickly out of date as leadership changed and ownership goals and objectives (and ultimately policies) evolved.
I concur with @SJ, QSI is going to be one of your better options. The other options are 1) Elite tier ISs as cost is less a priority to them. 2) ISs that recruit ITs on a LH package, in which case family logistics are not an issue because those costs are your responsibility.
coin_operated

Post by coin_operated »

Jerudong International School in Brunei hires teachers with dependents pretty regularly. Although, due to the fact Brunei is a very conservative country, getting a legit visa for a male trailing spouse is difficult - if that's your situation.
BentoBeth

Post by BentoBeth »

shadowjack: I am tempted to try QSI (especially since the Stans appeal to my family) but I hear so many mixed reviews. There are some QSI schools on my list for sure though!

IAMBOG: I have lists and lists! I went back to school four years ago (with three kids at home!) so I could get a teaching liscense and teach overseas. I have definitely done my fair share of daydreaming and researching every school. ;)

Its good to know that the schools that absolutely do not take trailing spouses say so on their Search profile. I haven't signed up yet but I will as soon as I get certified.

Thanks Everyone!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Bentobeth,

3 kids, 1 trailing spouse. Not impossible, but harder.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

If impossible had a twin it would be three dependents and a trailing spouse.
BentoBeth

Post by BentoBeth »

One kid will be in college and out of the house before we try our international journey. Sorry for the confusion! ;)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Two children and a trailing spouse. If the kids are older it might work in their favour, especially as most ISs tend to be heavily subscribed at lower levels and less so at upper levels, in my experience.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Two dependents and a trailing spouse for a history IT is impossibles ginger haired, undead twin.
BentoBeth

Post by BentoBeth »

Thanks shadowjack! They will be older.

Psyguy- dude. chill.

Post by 87654321 »

International School of Tianjin - China
Good pay and savings - city ok ish
Hire teachers with TS + dependants
BentoBeth