Middle East - Options, Lifestyle and Savings Potential

heyteach

Re: Middle East - Options, Lifestyle and Savings Potential

Post by heyteach »

Vandsmith, you may have misunderstood by what I meant by having a liquor license--it's simply for purchasing alcohol at the stores (what my UK colleagues called "bottle shops"). You didn't need it for buying drinks at a bar.
tinopener

Post by tinopener »

All interesting food for thought, so thanks for the info, all.

Could anyone please advise on the likely saving potentials, though, as this would be one of the deal-breakers for me.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@tinopener

That depends largely on you. If your a homebody and your IS provides a housing package, you could save 3/4 of your net salary. If your frugal, half your net salary is doable.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

heyteach wrote:
> Vandsmith, you may have misunderstood by what I meant by having a liquor
> license--it's simply for purchasing alcohol at the stores (what my UK
> colleagues called "bottle shops"). You didn't need it for buying
> drinks at a bar.

i don't misunderstand. we bought liquor all the time at the liquor stores, without a license. sometimes they ask you and you say that you mailed it in but haven't received a card yet.

and if you're not a tourist, technically, you can get in trouble consuming alcohol without a license (at least in abu dhabi).

v.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Agree with @vandsmith, you may never have a problem with buying liquor until its a problem and then you either have a license or you dont, the type of establishment is irrelevant.
vandsmith

Re: Discussion

Post by vandsmith »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Agree with @vandsmith, you may never have a problem with buying liquor
> until its a problem and then you either have a license or you dont, the
> type of establishment is irrelevant.

and that includes if you're in an accident (even while in a cab) or have any interaction with the police and morality police. it goes without saying that you should never drink (even a beer) and drive. you will be charged with driving while intoxicated. zero tolerance and it's a heavy fine (at least).

in hindsight, i should have gotten a license when i was there but you don't "really" need one if you can get into a gnp or african and eastern. and if you're clearly a "foreigner" (read: white) no one will question you in bars.

v.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Okay, Oman's laws are different from Abu Dhabi. You have to have your "ration book" to make a purchase at a liquor store in Oman. It's not just a card. It is issued on the spot when you submit your documents at the agency that grants them. It has your picture in it, and pages where the store notes each purchase for the month.

Anyone of legal age can consume alcohol at the nightclubs; one doesn't need any sort of permit or license. But indeed there is zero tolerance for drunk driving, which is why most of my colleagues always took cabs for a night out.