Abu Dhabi

lpbuckley

Abu Dhabi

Post by lpbuckley »

Hey all,

First time poster here. I have a job offer in Abu Dhabi that I'm seriously considering. I've done lots of research on the city, and the school seems lovely. I guess I'm hoping that this forum will serve as another source of information for me as I move toward a final decision. I read some not-so-lovely things on the blog thread about "What It's Like to Live in the Middle East." I think a lot of those comments referred to other countries in the ME, though. So I suppose this is an appeal to anyone out there who has lived and taught in the UAE, specifically Abu Dhabi, and has some info to share. It would be much appreciated! Thanks!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You have to be a mercenary meaning you go for the coin when going to the ME. You need laser beam focus that throws blinders to everything that isnt the coin. Abu Dhabi and the region like any region in IE has the whole range of ISs from bottom tier train wreck poo hole ISs that will take a part of your soul and mind, that you will never get back, to a small number of "oasis" that can be comfortable with a suitable cognitive and affective paradigm.

Abu Dhabi can be very entertaining if you 1) Are excitable about ordinary activities (such as desert hiking which is walking in sand). 2) Shopping (Abu Dhabi is one really big mall, with a lot of luxury brands). 3) Spending coin on entertainment.
Nomads

Re: Abu Dhabi

Post by Nomads »

Lpbuckley,

I spent seven years in the ME and enjoyed most of my time there. I was in a country more conservative than the UAE. Most of our entertainment came from the school and expat community, so your experience will partly depend upon the school where you are working. If it is ACS, then you will have a good sized community with which to connect. If you are going to one of the government funded schools, then you will be more on your own. I know a number of people who have enjoyed living in the UAE and teaching at ACS.

I would advise you to ask the recruiters for the names and email address of some of the current staff at the school who are roughly the same age and stage of life (single, married, kids, etc.) and ask them how they like live in Abu Dhabi, what people do on the week-end and the like.
Kby

Post by Kby »

I'm in Abu Dhabi and have been since 2011. I absolutely LOVE Abu Dhabi and don't see myself leaving anytime soon.

There are tons of things to do here and loads of expats from all around the world. There's nothing like hanging out at one of the many city events, beaches, or pubs for happy hour (several ladies nights as well where ladies drink for FREE) and sparking up a conversation with someone from someplace you've never heard of!

What I love most about this place is the international feel without the language barrier. Most people speak English so communication isn't to much of a problem. If learning a new language is your thing you can certainly get that to.

A lot of International schools house teachers in an area of Abu Dhabi called Al Reem Island or now they're starting to call it Shams Abu Dhabi. Fab location and awesome views!

Abu Dhabi is safe, super clean, and an AMAZING place to be!

TAKE THE OFFER!
lpbuckley

Post by lpbuckley »

Thanks for the replies. It is an international school, not public, with good reviews on ISR and also positive reports from 2 current staff members around my age.

I appreciate the feedback, and if anyone else reads this who has lived or does live there, feel free to chime in!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Be highly skeptical of anyone refereed to you by leadership, they are most certainly a cheerleader for the IS and will not give you full disclosure. No leadership member would put you in touch with anyone that would actually discuss real negatives.