Another Question from Rookies

themeleks

Another Question from Rookies

Post by themeleks »

Hi All.
We've been reading over the old posts on this forum for a few days now and really appreciate the information we're getting.
We're long time U.S. teachers just now getting into the international thing. We have one dependent and would like to go to Egypt or Japan. We're open to other places, but these are our first choices.

So our questions are:
1. If you've had personal experience in one of these countries, would you give us an idea of the good and bad points of schools in general there?

2. Which country is best for saving some money? We really wouldn't save the first couple of years, just pay off debt built up from being in this rat race so long.

3. Do you know anything about Hokkaido IS? We've had some interest from them and the director (Rick Branson) seems too good to be true.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Beemarcus

Japan

Post by Beemarcus »

We'd rather not return to teach in places we've lived before.
Last edited by Beemarcus on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexianTravel

Egypt

Post by TexianTravel »

I would not recommend Egypt. Lovely country, lovely people, but the Middle East mindset is a little hard to deal with. A supreme example was an incident involving one of our teachers and a small child. The child, about three, had a bowl of sugar which she was eating. Her mother said, "I wish she would not do that." The teacher suggested taking the sugar from the child. In horror the mother replied, "I cannot do that; she will cry!"

Needless to say, you will not experience a lot of discipline and a high work ethic (by American standards) from many Egyptian students. But the primary reason I would say avoid Egypt is there are so few quality schools, in part for the reasons listed above.

Whatever you do, avoid Narmer American College.
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

I loved Egypt but did not have children when I worked there. I was able to pay off a student loan while working there in my two year contract. I was at AIS. If you have a child, I would not recommend working there. It is comprised of 98% wealthy locals and it can be difficult for Western kids of teachers to fit in.

I would, however, highly recommend Cairo American College. It has great diversity and it is in an absolutely gorgeous part of Cairo... Maadi. There lots of activities to get involved and there is even a softball field for all the intramural activities that go on. There is a terrific church also... Maadi Community Church and they have a website, also.
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

[quote="Saiyara"]I loved Egypt but did not have children when I worked there. I was able to pay off a student loan while working there in my two year contract. I was at AIS. If you have a child, I would not recommend working there. It is comprised of 98% wealthy locals and it can be difficult for Western kids of teachers to fit in.

I would, however, highly recommend Cairo American College. It has great diversity and it is in an absolutely gorgeous part of Cairo... Maadi. There lots of activities to get involved and there is even a softball field for all the intramural activities that go on. There is a terrific church also... Maadi Community Church and they have a website, also.[/quote]

I agree with everything stated there, especially the part about western kids fitting in. As the only white, non-muslim, non-Arabic speaking child in his class, my son was targeted mercilessly by the other students.

My daughter was harassed and teased until she punched out her tormentor (with her parent's permission). We had spoken to the teacher, we had spoken to the administrators, she's still having this boy alternate between insulting her and trying to feel her up. So when she said she was going to sock him we said go ahead, but if the school gives you a consequence for fighting you will take it. So when he did, she did, and the school did nothing. The boy, however, let her alone after that.

So did the other girls in the school. They didn't understand why she wouldn't just take it, and they were horrified that "a girl hit." I told my daughter, "You are an American woman. You have a right not to be insulted and a right not to be touched if you don't want to be. If these Egyptians don't understand that an American woman WILL be respected, then it's time they learned."

Fortunately the girls eventually forgave her. But it was a rough two weeks.
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

Texan,

Where & when did you teach in Cairo?
roundtheworld

egypt

Post by roundtheworld »

I would recommend CAC in Egypt..but that would be the only school in Egypt to accept a position at...the rest of the schools are for-profit so their main goal is to make money...CAC has a nice mix of kids, a great feel and life in Maadi is wonderful. best of luck!