Bangkok Fair

Lebenstraum

Bangkok Fair

Post by Lebenstraum »

I have really enjoyed the fair diaries that have been posted from previous years. I hope that those of you going to Bangkok this weekend will consider posting about your experiences!
Thanks
MidTMike

Re: Bangkok Fair

Post by MidTMike »

This is the last day of the Bangkok job fair. A few observations.

The fair was at the Shangri-La Hotel which is beautiful but a bit expensive. I chose to stay at The Ascott which is a very nice executive apartment less than 5 minutes to hotel. I had a beautiful fully furnished 1 bedroom for less than 100 USD per night. The room was 1100 sq feet with a full kitchen. The pool was excellent and the gym was the best I have seen.

I had a lot of early activity on my ISS resume before the fair started. I also had 3 schools I wanted to interview with. I sent notes to all 3 schools.

The fair started on Monday. I arrived and registered and got my welcome packet. I had gone out the night before to buy a Canon IP110 Printer to print some last minute items but did not realize they would have printers for us (first time job fair).

I went to about 14 of the presentations and really enjoyed seeing what the schools said and had to offer. From my initial research, I still had 3 schools I was interested in but added a 4th school to the list after the presentations.

The next morning at sign up, I went and met with each of the 4 schools and got interviews with each. I was very happy with this. I did not book any more interviews as I knew I only would work with those 4.

The night before the sign up, one of the schools, my first choice school, offered to take me to dinner and I accepted. I had dinner with the headmaster and the elementary principal. I enjoyed the dinner a great deal and got to know them really well. It must have been a very productive dinner as at their interview the next day, they offered me the position. As this was my first choice school, I was elated. They gave me 24 hours. I was handed an offer letter which I read in the elevator on the way downstairs. The offer was nice and more importantly, I felt very comfortable with the school and the administration and thought this was a perfect match for me.

I signed the offer letter in the lobby and told the school I was very happy they wanted me as I wanted them as well. I cut off all negotiations with other schools (2 others wanted to make an offer but I was given a deadline and it was the school I wanted).

By Tuesday afternoon I had singed the offer letter and returned to the school. I then took off the rest of the week to enjoy Bangkok.

Overall first impressions for my first job fair. I think important to do research before hitting the fair. I saw many people who scheduled 12 or more interviews. I knew going in which schools I wanted and I had contacted them before the fair. I was surprised at how many viewed my online resume and wrote notes to me asking me for an interview. I saw a lot of activity on my ISS Dashboard. This was nice to see and it felt nice to know that many other schools were interested.

First job fair a success!
MidTMike

Post by MidTMike »

The fair was at the Shangri-La Hotel which is beautiful but a bit expensive. I chose to stay at The Ascott which is a very nice executive apartment less than 5 minutes to hotel. I had a beautiful fully furnished 1 bedroom for less than 100 USD per night. The room was 1100 sq feet with a full kitchen. The pool was excellent and the gym was the best I have seen.

I had a lot of early activity on my ISS resume before the fair started. I also had 3 schools I wanted to interview with. I sent notes to all 3 schools.

The fair started on Monday. I arrived and registered and got my welcome packet. I had gone out the night before to buy a Canon IP110 Printer to print some last minute items but did not realize they would have printers for us (first time job fair).

I went to about 14 of the presentations and really enjoyed seeing what the schools said and had to offer. From my initial research, I still had 3 schools I was interested in but added a 4th school to the list after the presentations.

The next morning at sign up, I went and met with each of the 4 schools and got interviews with each. I was very happy with this. I did not book any more interviews as I knew I only would work with those 4.

The night before the sign up, one of the schools, my first choice school, offered to take me to dinner and I accepted. I had dinner with the headmaster and the elementary principal. I enjoyed the dinner a great deal and got to know them really well. It must have been a very productive dinner as at their interview the next day, they offered me the position. As this was my first choice school, I was elated. They gave me 24 hours. I was handed an offer letter which I read in the elevator on the way downstairs. The offer was nice and more importantly, I felt very comfortable with the school and the administration and thought this was a perfect match for me.

I signed the offer letter in the lobby and told the school I was very happy they wanted me as I wanted them as well. I cut off all negotiations with other schools (2 others wanted to make an offer but I was given a deadline and it was the school I wanted).

By Tuesday afternoon I had singed the offer letter and returned to the school. I then took off the rest of the week to enjoy Bangkok.

Overall first impressions for my first job fair. I think important to do research before hitting the fair. I saw many people who scheduled 12 or more interviews. I knew going in which schools I wanted and I had contacted them before the fair. I was surprised at how many viewed my online resume and wrote notes to me asking me for an interview. I saw a lot of activity on my ISS Dashboard. This was nice to see and it felt nice to know that many other schools were interested.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I second that emotion!

I was all ready to write one this year, then I up and got hired?!

... But seriously, I love those diaries.
MidTMike

Post by MidTMike »

teller

Post by teller »

That was like...too easy...

Congrats! : )
Lebenstraum

Post by Lebenstraum »

Congrats, but I thought the Bangkok fair didn't start until tomorrow....
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

That is how rockstar/superstar recruiting looks.

@Lebenstraum

The BKK fair is a super fair, which is generally two fairs by separate organizations/agencies back to back such that the end of one fair becomes the start of a different fair. In the case of the BKK fair the ISS fair is first and the SA fair afterwards. The OP was referring to the ISS fair.
Lebenstraum

Post by Lebenstraum »

Thanks, PsyGuy. Didn't realize there were two fairs...I just knew that the Search fair was the big one. Newbie.

Good luck to everyone going this weekend!
alwaysadjusting

Post by alwaysadjusting »

MidTMike wrote:
> This is the last day of the Bangkok job fair. A few observations.
>
>
> First job fair a success!
Congratulations on your first fair success, and thank you for sharing your experience.
MidTMike

Post by MidTMike »

Thanks. So sorry for the duplicate posts. My posts were moderated and I didn't realize that in the beginning.

I was at ISS fair.
global_nomad

Post by global_nomad »

Congratulations! :-)