Career transitions

Lebenstraum

Career transitions

Post by Lebenstraum »

How common is it for ITs to make transitions to other positions such as counselor or admin while at an IS and how difficult would it be to make a swap? I have been a psychology (primarily) teacher for more than ten years and love what I teach, but I am also interested in possibly making a move to counseling at some point later in my career since I have the background in it. Would it be possible to do this within an IS or would I have to head back to the US to get the requisite experience?
Thanks
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its one of the common ways for ITs to move into leadership positions. You dont even need to be certified in a particular leadership role.
Lebenstraum

Re: Career transitions

Post by Lebenstraum »

Thanks PsyGuy! If teachers are making the switch to counselors are they going back and getting a degree in school counseling? Or are they moving into that role based on their experience with students, general background, and support of the administration?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The Latter, ISs are private/independent institutions, they generally have a great deal of flexibility. The reality is that from a regulatory/technical perspective IS staff are divided into two groups, those that provide instructional services and those that do not. Counselors are just educators in a non-instructional role. The degree or school counselor license doesnt actually license them to do anything as outlined in various regions medical or education regulations. In such cases an IS may make a distinction of title between staff that are credentialed counselors (giving them a title with counselor in their name) and those who dont with a different title (often incorporating "pastoral" or "student" in the title). So a counselor without the credential may be referred to as a "Student Coordinator" or other such title.
ISs can hire who they want as long as they meet the requirements for a visa and work permit, which in most cases is nothing more than a Bachelors degree. This is how a lot of ETs that bridge ESOL transition into the academic side of third tier ISs. If leadership likes/needs/wants you, thats all that really matters.

I would actually strongly advise against going back for a degree program in school counseling. You would essentially have to leave IE to get credentialed, since the vast majority of those programs have field experience and supervision requirements that are very difficult to fulfill abroad. Many of them are far more than the 36 hour Masters programs you find in other fields (including education) you would really need to devote full time study to get it done in 24 months.