Linkedin

speedracer

Linkedin

Post by speedracer »

I was wondering if anyone uses linkedin to help in the job search (connecting with others, etc.)

If so, how?
Vernacular

Re: Linkedin

Post by Vernacular »

Apart from personal contacts, nothing except agents.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree, Linkedin isnt the networking opportunity in IE the way it is in the corporate world. Mostly Linkedin will get you agents, who mostly are peddling a list of bottom tier ISs or ESs with a focus on hardship locations.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

I personally don't think that Linkedin will help find you a job - but a potential employer mights check you up on it out of curiosity. I noticed this a couple of years ago before I went to a fair. I also agree that a lot of agents contact you - hundreds if you add all of them.

For me - I find Linkedin really helpful to keep in touch with people you used to work with who move all over the place. It's helped me get info on potential schools for both myself and my friends. I also try and keep my page reasonably up to date - but I don't think I'd ever pay for the extra services....
alwaysadjusting

Post by alwaysadjusting »

I use it to research current HOS, staff - sometimes you find interesting information on their background, education, experience etc. Example: One HOS at a school of interest, was in that position as a first time Head of School.
damok

Post by damok »

I have different experience than everyone else here. A few years ago friend of mine taught in an international school and I added an admin on linkedin that worked at their school.

I taught in my home country for a few years and when I was ready to make the switch to international teaching I sent a message to the admin (who now worked at a different school). They contacted my friend to ask about me. The admin offered me a skype interview and now I have a job offer.

It can't hurt to add some admins, particularly those whom are friendly with people who can vouch for you.
alwaysadjusting

Post by alwaysadjusting »

Spotted a recruiter at the fair - only recognised him thanks to LinkedIn. It has it's uses.