Passive Aggressiveness in IS

PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Some years ago I was interviewing a local IT for their evaluation and asked what they liked about teaching and why they became a teacher. I was just trying to start out the interview lightly and was expecting an answer that involved loving children. Her response was a lot more blunt, she said she was a teacher because it was the only way she could make a living in her field (Art teacher). She had sold a number of pieces over the years, and had been in a few exhibitions and showings, but teaching provided her the time, a studio, and materials to sculpt. The teaching wasnt even difficult, and the students didnt hate her class, since even kids that cant draw or paint can make a coil pot. Shed spend maybe 15 minutes per class for a 2 week project and then just make sure everyone got along.

I believe at some level all ITs/DTs have a similar motivation.
nikkor

Re: Discussion

Post by nikkor »

PsyGuy wrote:

> I believe at some level all ITs/DTs have a similar motivation.

This gave me a laugh. That may be your perspective, but wow, we live with different perspectives my friend. Where I live, the huge majority of ITs love what they do, and work their butts off because they are empowered to develop their passions and express their intelligence ever more fully. Students at my school say the art teachers are tough graders, and they sometimes have to go to the office hours if they want to get an A in a gen Ed art class.

Btw- a student at my school was accepted early to RISD (highly selective, top ranked art school) last week. It wasn't because of her coil pot skills.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@nikkor

Lots of ITs delude themselves, how does it go, those that can do...