American school

joanveronica

American school

Post by joanveronica »

*deleted
Last edited by joanveronica on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamava

Re: Elite American school

Post by mamava »

I wouldn't use the word "elite" since that's subjective--unless you are are at such a well known school that everyone knows it's an elite school. If you mentioned it, you would probably want to mention whatever specifics make it so--test scores, etc.

An international school typically is one that doesn't follow the national or state curriculum. It might be an IB school, for example. You could look at Atlanta International School, for example or comparison.

You'd probably be better off referencing your school as a "rigorous college prep school" and stay focused on your own skills and what you've contributed. They're hiring you, not your school's reputation.
joanveronica

Post by joanveronica »

Thanks for your feedback. I agree that "elite" isn't a great descriptor. I just want to emphasize that he is at a prestigious school and that might help elevate his status, especially since we have no international experience.
sid

Post by sid »

I recommend referring to the school as "high performing", and focusing on what you have learned and/or contributed in such an environment, particularly how that can translate into the position for which you're applying. Being at a great school means very little. For me it's about what you're able to bring to my school. You might also clarify your definition of high performing, since for some that means starting with the best kids and doing good things with them, while for others it's starting with under performing kids and taking them further than anyone believed they could go.
As for international experience, please do not put this down unless you have been working in a school which was set up for the primary purpose of being an international school. Registration with ISS is available to any school that pays the fee. Many national schools offer IB programs. Having a few students from other countries, or a teacher from France, does not make an international school. Being an IS is at the core of an IS, so if you have to ask, you aren't at one. If you tick "international school experience", but your list of employment indicates otherwise, the recruiter will at best be bemused at your transparent attempt at self inflation, and at worst annoyed enough to bin your application in favor of more straightforward candidates.
Plenty of candidates are hired without previous international experience. No need to blur that line.
Good luck.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Joanveronica!

Unless it is like an Andover or Philips Exeter, it is likely not that well known. But working in a private school will be similar to working in an international school - for better or worse, depending on where you end up :-)

I would agree with Sid. Be honest, but don't pump it up into something it isn't. Things like that can make the rounds and you become an object of curiosity first, and consideration for jobs second. (Oh look, this guy taught at an international school in Kansas! But the only one I can find is the "International School of Bartending"! <-- yes, it really exists).

If you have a quality CV, it will show through regardless of what school you were at. I wish you well!

Shad
joanveronica

Post by joanveronica »

I checked with ISS and his school is considered an IS, but I agree that it doesn't feel right to claim IS experience. We are in Hawai'i and do have many students from different ethnicities and cultures (even at my public school) but I don't think he will claim IS experience.

Thanks for the feedback!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Two issues, first, there is no need to put anything about the status of an IS or DS in a cover letter, if a IS/DS is elite they will see it in the resume when they read the name. Most cover letters dont get read until the short, short list. Cover letters are about you, not the DS/IS you presently serve it.

Second, ISs dont care about "International School" experience what they care about is have you worked in a private/independent school vs. public/regulated school. The former is far more relevant to an IS (in most cases) than the latter. Additionally, they care if you have actually worked in an overseas environment. There are many ISs located in ITs home region, service in those ISs doesnt indicate who well you would adapt to working in an overseas location.

"International School" is a VERY general and broad term, and more importantly it isnt (generally) controlled or regulated. There is no controlling definition and little consensus on an operational definition. There are many ISs that really are ISs that wee not created or developed or currently focused on serving an "international population of students" many ISs are focused on providing a global/western education/program/experience to a mostly and predominate local/host nation student population, it makes them no less worth in concept or practice that they are less international than any other institution. What I do agree with is that a few foreign students or a foreign exchange teacher do not make an IS (but neither does having an IB program, or other singular criterion).

I would not refer to your current experience or institution as being "high performing", without context that doesnt have much utility. If your going to name drop your institution, concrete descriptors such as top ranked int he state in terms of student passing rates or high average exam scores, or top 10 best IS/DS in the country as cited in some recognizable publication.

The only exception to this is in application systems that have check boxes or selections that ask if you have "international experience" or not, in which case I would select in the affirmative. Such machine screening is likely to result in non selection if you dont, in which case you can always explain your response should your application ever make it to the interview stage. It is better to be looked over even in amusement or annoyance than be overlooked by a machine algorithm.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

joanveronica wrote:
> I checked with ISS and his school is considered an IS, but I agree that it
> doesn't feel right to claim IS experience. We are in Hawai'i and do have
> many students from different ethnicities and cultures (even at my public
> school) but I don't think he will claim IS experience.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!

Hi Joan,
From your comments, it sounds like your husband is at (school name removed by forum moderator - please do not post school evaluation type material to the forum, be it from a positive or negative perspective.), the largest and one of the most reputable private schools in the USA. Many educators in the intl school world know of this school, and I would encourage your husband to educate others on the wonderful teaching and learning that occurs there. His experience will be valued and on par with the work that occurs at better intl schools. I would strongly consider interviewing any teacher with experience there.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@nikkor

No reason to name drop it then, a recruiter will see it prominently on their resume and can then discuss it as part of the interview.
joanveronica

Post by joanveronica »

Thanks @nikkor. You are correct--fantastic school.