Euro Schools - specifics, please?

UnCloudy

Euro Schools - specifics, please?

Post by UnCloudy »

Hey everyone, happy recruiting season to you all! I have a question about those top schools in Europe, Japan, and Hong Kong that the forums say many will gun for and few will qualify. What ARE the qualifications to be competitive for positions at AS London, AIS Japan, AS of the Hague, et al. ? We're trying to decide if we want to go to SA London in January.

Thanks in advance,

UnCloudy
sid

Re: Euro Schools - specifics, please?

Post by sid »

How long is a piece of string?
You want specifics for multiple schools in multiple countries plus "et al". Try their websites. Most schools post some details of what they're looking for.
In general, teaching qualifications from quality institutions, solid experience at a minimum 3 years but realistically more to be competitive- applicants could have twenty or more. IB experience in one or more programs. Evidence of going the extra mile. Extracurricular contributions. And intangibles you can't predict or control, like a certain personality type to balance existing personalities on the team you'd be joining.
Good luck.
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Yeah, I know - and I have read everything everywhere I can...but minimums aren't norms and definitely aren't ideals so I was hoping for some gold nugget that would tell me if we are competitive :) But thank you, Sid!
mamava

Post by mamava »

It's really hard to quantify--but there is a big factor on "fit." I worked for 5 years at a top tier Asian school. People with outstanding qualifications and experience were hired--but so were teachers with 3 years of experience in the States. One year there was a decision to work to have more male elementary teachers, so that was a focus. One of the qualities that all the teachers I worked with that were hired was the ability to hit the ground running, to fit in and contribute from day 1. There are skills a good school can teach, but there are other skills that really can't be easily taught that teachers are bringing to the table. I don't think "good fit" trumps experience, but given that so many teachers apply with similar experiences--schools have transient populations--the ability to jump in, fit in, start strong, and contribute is important.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Obviously there are no universal answers to your questions. It is a virtually universal assumption that a successful/highly competitive candidate for a top tier/high desirable school/location will be fully qualified and will have solid experience (at least 3 but more often at least 5 years) teaching in the field that you are applying for.

Beyond that, elite (or those that consider themselves/aspire to be elite) believe (or want everyone else to believe) that all of their teachers are outstanding and all-stars in their respective areas of teaching. So, they often want to feel that they are hiring the outstanding teacher(s) from other schools. If you can paint/sell yourself as an outstanding teacher (in every sense of the word) then you have a chance to be taken seriously by these schools.

How to do this? Obviously it starts with relevant experience at respected/creditable schools (either in your home country or even better, at a respected international school). From there, you should be able to show/spin accomplishments beyond "just" 5 years experience in the field. This would look different depending on your field of expertise (e.g. exam results, leading workshops/trainings, initiating/implementing programs, HoD, awards, productions, events, coaching successes etc). Basically anything that can be used/spun to show that you were a leader/exemplar of teaching at your past/current school(s).

In some areas, personal accomplishments/talents can replace some of this. This could include being a talented artist, singer, musician, published author, etc. Again, anything that will make the idea of hiring you seem like a school is bringing in a rockstar in the field that will be a huge asset to the school and the school's image.

In some harder to fill areas this might be slightly less important (e.g. Math, Sciences, SPED). Also, some combinations of certifications that a teaching couple could bring to the table may also be highly regarded (Math/SPED, Science/Counselor, etc).

In the end, it will come down to the person who pulls the trigger on the hire. What specifics appeal to them? What things are they biased for and against? And with some truly elite schools that may get 20 candidates that are (or look like) rockstars at their current school they simply pick the one that seems like the "right fit" (or one that one of their current "rockstars" knows and recommends).

Just my two cents on an interesting but highly subjective subject based on my experience and perceptions. I have not worked at an elite school but in my role as school head for several small niche special needs school I have spent a fair amount of time on some of the campuses and in the company of the school heads of quite a few top tier schools (mainly in Asia).

And yes, we have had our share of bad luck/unsuccessful recruiting experiences and near misses with some truly excellent schools, so forgive me if my insights sound a bit jaded or sour grape like. Luckily, I am now teaching with DoDDS (which is an elite gig, if not an elite school) in my top choice of country/city in the world and I can look back with some amusement/bemusement at the mysterious dance that is international school recruitment.

Take it for what it's worth and good luck to everyone in finding their dream gig this year (or at least another rung up on the ladder that leads there).
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Thank you so much @wrldtrvlr123 and @mamava! I suppose it that fragile ego time of year, right? I appreciate your thoughts - we have been pretty nervous that so many positions in The Husband's field are at big big name schools. We aren't necessarily looking to go the elite route at all - but if it is what's available it is good to know that we don't look like fools applying :)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I strongly concur with @mamava, in that many ITs withina class are very indistinct from one another and "fit" is often the crucial and deciding factor.

Elite tier ISs generally see:
1) 10+ years of experience (half of that in IE)
2) Demonstrated success in their teaching subject (ITs that look amazing even when they are phoning it in).
3) An advance degree is very typical/common.
4) High quality references.
5) Genuine enthusiasm for the profession. ITs who love education, teaching, and mentoring children. One of the reasons elite tier ISs start so early and have multiple interviews is they want to separate those ITs who after 10+ years in a classroom still love the job, and just arent faking it to get into a top IS.

The defining characteristic is a "special/unique skill set" that is congruent with leaderships current goals. Those ITs with minimal experience compared to most applicants have something that is an initiative at that moment for the IS and leadership. Maybe its more male primary ITs, maybe it technology integration, maybe its a lower secondary self contained classroom, or maybe they are adding an IB program, or changing curriculum or adapting new standards. Maybe they are exploring an immersion or special populations program. Maybe they are a known "talent" in their field (a lit IT who is a published author or working musician of some reputation. Maybe they were a CEO before becoming an IT, or maybe they worked for NASA or JPL before becominga science IT).

Its usually those two factors: (1) Fit, and (2) Unique Skills Set that result in successful appointments to elite tier ISs.

Lastly, sometimes that special skill set or fit all comes down to someone likes you or you know someone and are in the right place at the right time.
ChemEd

Post by ChemEd »

I just interviewed with one of those schools. Unfortunately, they didn't fully read my dossier where I indicated that I had taken IB training but did not have experience teaching it. Five minutes into the interview it was over because not only did they want someone with experience in IB, they wanted someone with enough experience to be a reader, perhaps with 10 years of IB experience. Otherwise I have 13 years of US teaching experience, as well as 2 years of international teaching experience, with a MS +30 credits. You don't say what position you're looking for so this might not be relevant to you but this was the info I got directly from the school.
Lexie

Post by Lexie »

I say go for it and apply to those schools! I did with one and got short listed for a position very recently. I really applied for the heck of it just to see what would happen. I didn't truly think they would even consider me. Imagine my surprise when I found out they did!!! I just got the rejection letter today but it was hard to feel too sad when I got as far as I did and down to just several people when they had hundreds upon hundreds of applicants! It was for a position two grade levels below the grade I have tons of experience at. I have a Master's degree in Educational leadership, a SPED endorsement, at least 80 credits beyond all of that, international teaching experience, and some awards/grants for my teaching. I also have done a great deal of traveling around the world. By the way, I have NO IB training and that doesn't seem to be a deal breaker. Best of luck to you! Let us know what you decide to do! But I say...apply, apply, apply!!!
UnCloudy

Post by UnCloudy »

Thanks, everyone. The husband is a bit of a golden goose with his endorsements and experience (I'm not shabby, but he's the one they will go after) so we're going to just apply everywhere and see what happens. Best of luck to everyone this season!