Only 1 year post-PGCE experience enough?

shadowjack

Re: Only 1 year post-PGCE experience enough?

Post by shadowjack »

I think it is chalked up to teacher bashing by the government, along with the attack on established schools and the creation of the academies and super schools led by super heads that are supposed to put a new spin on education but in reality are just a way of lessening teachers input and moving to lower salaries or cut pensions. I also think many students who go into teaching come from a solid personal and academic background. When they hit the classroom for real - it is shell shock. Sort of like a scholastic Battle of the Somme, I imagine. When I taught in England it was a hard slog - but I earned my stripes and both admin and students would have been very happy to have me stay - despite the latter trying to drive me away in the first few months of my job. LOL

That's why I think it's 40% in a year (along with the rainbow stories of huge upcoming teacher shortages).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

British Elite Prep Academies are the gold standard many DTs in the UK aspire to, they dont have recruiting difficulties or teacher shortages.

While not as large a percentage as 40% a significant number of new DTs in CAN and the States quit and leave the profession after only 1 year.

It has far less to do with politics and public perceptions and more with the incongruence between ITT/EPP program preparation (the academic view/approach) and what real world education requires in terms of classroom and behavior management, and working with actual students and not case studies.

UK DTs dont quit prior to their first full year so that they can obtain QTS, which if they fail they can never repeat or obtain as you only get one attempt.
kevin

Post by kevin »

I am the only one on this forum confused by the amount of acronyms that regulars use? :D I always find myself having to work it out from the context. DTs? = Domestic teachers?

PsyGuy I did think that Hockerill school looked quite fancy and not the kind of place I'd get a shot at.

ShadowJack, I guess you're right, it's a case of earning your stripes. That's what I'm not sure if I could be bothered doing, haha.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kevin

My mentor once said (in addition to her three rules) that its not really an education thing, until theres an acronym for it.

Yes, DT is Domestic Teacher along with:

DS= Domestic School
DE=Domestic Education
IT=International Teacher
IS=International School
IE=International Education
ET=English Teacher (ESOL)
ES=English School (ESOL)

Ive seen ST (School Teacher).
kevin

Post by kevin »

Thanks PsyGuy, I will try and remember them!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

About once a year the forum asks about getting a sticky post with some common terms.