Only 1 year post-PGCE experience enough?

kevin

Only 1 year post-PGCE experience enough?

Post by kevin »

Hi

I saw someone post on another forum that they have a PGCE and are doing their induction year in the UK and want to try to find an international school job in HK right after. I just started wondering, for a decent international school is 1 year post-PGCE i.e. your induction year ENOUGH?

I have an MA in TESOL and am doing a PGCE secondary in Spanish and French. I’m thinking about doing my induction, but looking for an international school right after that.

I really genuinely don’t care about salary at the moment. I’d just like to get into a real international school (i.e. not one of those Chinese/Thai ‘international’ in name only schools). I can’t stress that enough. My aim is just to get experience as I have a decent amount of savings and have always been very good managing my finances and at the moment the salary is not high on my agenda. I just say this in case there are some decent international schools that don’t pay so well!

Would my chances be low due to only 1 year induction in my home country? I’m pretty flexible where to go at least for getting some experience, except probably The Middle East/Africa. I’m interested in countries like HK, Switzerland, Japan, and South Korea, Singapore and several countries in Europe.

Are most schools in Switzerland pretty much the ones that require loads of experience? I really wouldn’t care about a poor salary as I said above, I’d just really like to try Switzerland to improve my French and start learning German again, however, Switzerland comes off to me as one of those countries that are only for teachers with a lot of experience with lots of elite ISs there. Would that be accurate?

I realise there are more international school jobs available for maths/English etc, but at the same time maybe there isn’t as much competition for some language jobs for people speaking 2 foreign languages quite well? Just curious.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
shadowjack

Re: Only 1 year post-PGCE experience enough?

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Kevin,

your MA in Tesol is not going to help you much unless you are doing your certification as an English teacher. There you can use it to connect to your ELL/EAL/ESL learners in the classroom and point out your differentiation techniques to deal with those learners. As to Spanish and French, you will need to get your MFL experience in the UK in order before heading out. The schools you seem to want to be in aren't the schools that hire someone fresh out of uni.

That said, there are schools like that out there. However, many of them are not good places to be teaching at. You might also hit the jackpot, as a few teachers have, and land a better school.

To sum up, if you REALLY want to get out of the UK, and you are willing to take the risk of ending up at a not-so-nice school, then go for it. However, if it doesn't work out, it is likely you will end up back in the UK doing your two years before you head out again.

Just my two pence,

shad
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

Unlikely but stranger things have happened.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Try the Middle East or China. Make sure the school has an international curriculum and is not just a glorified local school.

HK, Japan, Singapore, Europe? Not likely with 1 year of experience. You'd have to get extremely lucky or know someone.
kevin

Post by kevin »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So, how much experience would you need on average for those countries I mention would you all say? Why are they very competitive? Any reason in particular? (Sorry if I sound naive). As I say I'm not looking to stick around the UK and my original plan was simply do the PGCE, then go and teach English in Asia. My initial reason to do the PGCE was to simply use it indirectly, as a kind of stepping stone, as it's a good certificate to have (to get into the HK NET programme for example having a PGCE is very beneficial) but thought why not do the induction year in The UK at least. However, from what it seems that is certainly not enough unless you 1 go for a bad school or 2 get lucky. As mentioned I don't mind a poor salary, but maybe the schools that don't pay much really aren't good to work for (?).

As I said I'm not interested in ME, but, I guess China is a possibility. If it was a proper international school in China would that experience be valid for other 'better' IS jobs?

I just mentioned my TESOL as it can't do any harm; after all it's not exactly unrelated. I'd be teaching foreign languages which is the closest school subject to TEFLing.

"However, if it doesn't work out, it is likely you will end up back in the UK doing your two years before you head out again.

Sorry, bit confused what you mean by the two years? You mean going back to The UK to get sufficient experience to be eligible for good IS jobs?

Thanks again,
Kevin
Ozymnds24

Post by Ozymnds24 »

Kevin, getting into a good school with one year post-PGCE experience will be difficult, but certainly not impossible. Working in your favour is the fact that you have an internationally respected qualification, and there is a serious lack of qualified teachers on the international circuit, due to all the new school construction in Asia pushing up demand. I would suggest you direct these questions to the Principals or Directors of the schools you are interested in working at. The worst they can do is ignore your email, and you might find (as I did) that they give you some good advice. Getting some International Baccalaureate experience under your belt, even if it is in the form of classroom observations, would be useful. Also, it might be worth casting your net more widely to begin with in terms of target schools.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The standard bar to entry for ITs is 2 years post certification, the issue is is a PGCE or QTS "certification", the upper tier BSs are going to liklely count it post QTS, lower tier ISs and non BSs will likely count it post PGCE. Is the PGCE enough, again at many lower tier BSs and ISs most likely at higher tier ISs they are going to want QTS.

That two years is just entry level, its the minimum and will get you an invite to BOS or a dump fair, and their will be lots of other ITs in the pool and pool with more experience than you. I concur with SJ however, there are ISs in hardship regions or bottom tier ISs that will hire you with less than 2 years experience, and there are those who beat the probabilities who get offers from upper tier ISs or ind desirable regions with minimal resumes (they typically know someone or in the right place, right time, with the right skill set).So is it "enough" in the sense you could technically get an appointment, yes, though your very likely not going to enjoy that position.

An MA in TESOL is an MA, you will get scale for it at the Masters level, much like any other IT with a Masters degree. Recruiters generally dont put a lot of utility in advance degrees. They look good in the IS literature and parents value it, but this is EC-12 education there isnt much at the graduate level as far as content thats going to make you a better IT or increase content transition to student achievement.

You can do induction now at a BSO (British School Overseas) allowing you to begin internationally as well as complete induction and obtain QTS. Those BSs though tend to be higher tier ISs and have comparable increases in competition as well as lower turn over.

"Decent" ISs generally are decent in part because they have better compensation packages. What you are really looking for is a something like the ME which is a hardship region but has a lot of wealth so their salary tends to be higher than IE averages, but you dont want to go to the ME, so its a moot point.

You just arent really very marketable in IE, the upper tier ISs prefer to higher native foreign language speakers for their programs, and FL positions are uncommon, as they have low turnover. The biggest issue is you have very minimal experience. An IS thats desperate can usually hire for a local or someone spouse and fill a FL vacancy. FL isnt fixed, an IS can offer whatever languages are available. So if they cant find a French IT they can easily offer Italian or Japanese or whatever language is available. Many students in ISs meet the FL requirements by being native speakers in L1 and learning English as an FL meets their FL requirements.

Most of your preferences in region are at "high desire" regions and are very competitive. South Korea (SK) is about the only one that isnt. The other Asian regions you identified (JP, HK, SG) are the little tigers, that are high on preference locations.
Every 20 something who is into manga, anime, etc wants to go to Japan. There is even a term called the Japanese Domestic market that accounts for the value of Japanese cultural exports. Its why is ESOL the JET program is still the most competitive program to be accepted into.
HK is the Manhattan/London of Asia, its the metropolitan, cosmopolitan, fast paced, glamor of 'the city". Its British pedigree is still prevalent, and its very popular with singles and childless couples.
SG is very sanitary, everything works, and its essentially a shopping mall on an island. Its very popular with families expatriating to Asia because its so safe and well controlled and easy to acclimate (English is everywhere) and you can navigate the city very easily, and go to the beach any day you want to.

Yes, Switzerland is the region that is very, very competitive. Its probably the best country in WE, it has the financial stability of Germany with the Persian lifestyle of France. The Italy most westerns picture is actually in Switzerland. Switzerland has the highest number of the most expensive ISs Globally (Le Rosey is the top) and those ultra expensive ISs have compensation packages to match. Switzerland does have third tier ISS, but this is why tier status, in part, is only applicable within that region. Even third tier ISs in Switzerland are pretty good ISs.

WE has always been highly competitive, its where all the tourist ITs want to go. They work for 5-10 years and realize they are letting their European dream slip by so they think they will just get an IT appointment in their favorite city, as a result many of these schools get hundreds to thousands of applications.
You have an advantage however in that you have an EU passport, and in June there will be a number of WE ISs that will need staff who are EU passport holders, and some very minimally qualified ITs find themselves with multiple opportunities (mostly in Spain).

Qualification in two languages is an asset, it gives the IS options in expanding their course offerings, understand though that with a whole IS FL program (or at least whole secondary program) you will very likely fill up your teaching load teaching only one language. Still at small ISs that only offer 1 and 2 year FL programs in a given language, you would 2 language proficiency more marketable.

SK is a typical entry lovel location you can get into an IS their with 2 years.
JP you can get into lower tier ISs once you hit 4 years IE and have something like IB (the IB was recently expanded in JP). Elite tier and 1st tier ISs though are practically Golden tickets, its like winning the lottery.
SG you can get in with 3-4 years but you will be perpetually broke. SAS is around 5 years IE with strong performance scores.
HK is around 5 years IE to get into ESF, British NC is more prevalent, but HK is a very closed market, the whole point of the HK fair is essentially for ITs and ISs to swap staff between ISs, and because of that there is always an iT ready to trade up to a better IS when a vacancy comes up. HK is liek admin the hard part is getting in, once your in though the competition becomes much easier.
Switzerland is your retirement stop. Your looking at 10 years IE with some TLR experience and specialized/high performance curriculum skills. You will also need an EU passport and french proficiency for lower tier ISs.
WE is around 5-6 years IE, but their are third tier ISs that will take less, but the vast majority of those IS/DS is they only provide local hire packages. One of the best strategies in your position is pick where you want to go, than relocate your self in a major city around late spring and keep looking for vacancies. You will likely find a DS with an academy or locals IS at some point that offers you an appointment and you can teach ESOL to pay the bills while doing looking.

Many ITs get their start in China, yes its completely valid and marketable experience, but its China.

Well actually TESOL can do harm, recruiters are very loath to touch anything that is poisoned by ESOL.

Meaning that the IS you are likely to hired for with your one year induction experience is very likely going to be a VERY negative experience, called a train wreck, and you will either pull a runner or leave IE and never look back after 2 years, either of which will take you back home (to the UK) and if you arent completely turned off you will wait for a tier 1 IS which may never materialize.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Just a note about Spain - pay is not good at almost all Spanish ISs, but you will get experience.
kevin

Post by kevin »

Thanks a lot PsyGuy that’s really useful to know. I appreciate the in-depth answers!

If I do like the 1st year induction I will certainly try to stay for more years. It’s just with all the talk of 40% of newly qualified teachers in the UK quitting doesn’t fill me with confidence that I’ll be one of the 60%!

Which countries, excluding the ME, are ‘easier’ to get into? How about Latin America? Or Thailand, Malaysia, Macau (if there is even a market for ISs there!)? Where are the other “hardship regions” apart from ME?

There’s the mention of China and Spain, which are not high on my list but would definitely be an option. China does put me off for the pollution, but if it’s a way of getting experience, although in saying that would prefer South Korea than China. I wouldn’t mind 1 year in Spain. Thanks SJ, having lived there for a year do realise salaries are quite low and as I said salary isn’t my main objective so would happily go somewhere if the salary was low if it was a decent place and got me more experience. But, I take on board the comments in lower ISs that they might not be so good and might even quit half way through. So, I guess at the moment SK and Spain seem like two possible options.

I did see the induction at a BSO, but think the chances of a school needing a Spanish/French teacher and taking me on are slim and as you say they’re generally higher tier ISs. However, I guess it’s something to look out for. Sorry to ask a silly question but how do I know if the school is higher/lower tier? E.g. How about this one: http://www.bis.k12.tr/ ?

Ozymnds24, thanks for the opinion, that’s really useful. I will do that!

>>>>Also, it might be worth casting your net more widely to begin with in terms of target schools.

Could you give me some examples of places?

Thanks again
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kevin

Thats domestic education everywhere. IE doesnt have perfect non attrition rate either, many ITs leave after their first 2 year contract.

Asia has a lot of hardship locations China, Myanmar, Vietnam, Mongolia, etc. Then you have regions like Thailand, Malaysia, South Korea and Taiwan, etc. that arent a hardship but they arent high desire regions either (unlike the little tigers).
Macau has essentially 2 ISs TIS (The International School) is a Canadian curriculum IS and School of the Nations which offers a British Curriculum and IB. There are some other NC ISs as well.

L.A and S.A. are hardship regions, in general the compensation package is just really low. If youre at an upper tier IS you can do well as long as you stay on the economy and in country, but you could have a really high percentage of savings and still find yourself with only a modest savings when and if you leave.
S.A. and L.A. are popular locations for the "divorcess" in IE. Its great if your single, but those with families eventually come to realize that their are struggles that are never going to go away. If your committed to L.A. and S.A. as a career and you never leave you can make it work.

A lot of locations along the Mediterranean dont pay very well, including Spain, Italy, etc. Most of WE doesnt pay very well. Spain is one of those regions with archaic employment and labor regulations, where a number of vacancies appear in the summer but are only available to those with an EU passport.

Its not silly as a profession we struggle with defining tiers (normally I insert the rather long treatise on tiers here). There are essentially 3 tiers 1st, 2nd, 3rd tier, the 1st tier has a sub group referred to as "elite" tier. In GENERAL "upper" tier ISs are generally the elite, 1st tier and some portion of the 2nd tier ISs, and "lower" tier ISs are the remaining 2nd tier ISs and the third tier ISs.

Current forum rules restrict categorizing ISs by tier.
kevin

Post by kevin »

Yeah, but PsyGuy there’s a lot of talk about the unfavourable conditions for teachers in the UK (England in particular) and due to that they’re quitting. 40% is quite high in my eyes. Sure, every country will have its problems as teaching is not easy, but there does seem to be a bit of a crisis in England. I even read an article in the Guardian that said the government went all the way to Jamaica to try and recruit teachers. They’re training too many people as they know so many will quit soon after (or not even finish the PGCE). Northern Ireland on the other hand does not have this problem at all and securing a teaching position there as an NQT is like gold dust and positions are filled ASAP.

Anyway, moving on, thanks a lot for the examples. I’d be pretty happy for a first IS position in Thailand, Malaysia, South Korea or Taiwan. I guess at a push Vietnam or Mongolia could also be an option for first IS job. Though I guess it depends on how many schools in all the above mentioned countries offer Spanish and/or French. Some food for thought!

Re L.A. thanks for the info, I’m single and although I definitely don’t see this continent as a career destination could be ok for a year or two.

Thanks for info about tiers.

>>> Current forum rules restrict categorizing ISs by tier.
Sorry about that!

Thanks again for all the info PsyGuy.
CorkMunich

Post by CorkMunich »

How about working at one of the UK international schools - Hockerill?>
kevin

Post by kevin »

Thanks CorkMunich, that's something to consider! That Hockerill school looks quite fancy, but see under vacancies there aren't any language jobs.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

just an FYI, Kevin in Canada and the US, 50% of all teachers leave within the first 5 years. So 40% isn't shocking. There are teachers who go overseas who flee home after their contract is up, never to venture forth again, too, and some leave teaching.
kevin

Post by kevin »

Thanks ShadowJack. But isn't there a bit of a difference between 40% quitting after ONE YEAR vs 50% quitting in 5? Sure 50% in 5 isn't good as they won't have that many teachers long-term, but at least in North America they've tried it for 5 years and chucked it in whereas I'd imagine many of those quitting after one year just want to complete the year rather than leaving half-way through (for CV purposes etc).

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... hin-a-year