Any updates on DODEA?

kris10msmith

Re: Any updates on DODEA?

Post by kris10msmith »

Makes sense. I hear what you are saying. Dodea is my plan B, but I'm going after it like its Plan A. I'm lucky - my administrators are really excited for me and hope for my sake that I get this opportunity. One said "I really hate to lose good teachers, but I also to hold them back". I will have no problem returning to my current position next year if I don't get a job.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

Any advice on how I can actually speak with someone about licensure? I've been calling for four weeks now, and all I get is transferred to a voicemail and I've never received a return call. If I'm missing a class for moderate/severe and/or emotional disability I will need to register for a course within the next week. What's the trick to getting through to an actual person that can answer my question? I've tried emailing too. Thanks.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

kris10msmith wrote:
> Any advice on how I can actually speak with someone about licensure? I've
> been calling for four weeks now, and all I get is transferred to a
> voicemail and I've never received a return call. If I'm missing a class for
> moderate/severe and/or emotional disability I will need to register for a
> course within the next week. What's the trick to getting through to an
> actual person that can answer my question? I've tried emailing too. Thanks.
-------------------------
Yes, it can be tricky. I take it you have called the number on this page http://www.dodea.edu/Offices/HR/resources/contact.cfm? You might try calling another number and trying to get transferred to someone who can actually help you. HR is one of the weakest links in DoDDS, even by the powers that be's own admission.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

I've called every number I can find. I always get transferred to ththe same person, and it goes to her voicemail and I don't get a call back. I'm unsure if I need another course for moderate/severe and severe/multiple. I'm assuming my ID (intellectually disabled) certification is a close match to those. If I don't need a course for those, I will focus my time on taking th course I know I need for EI. So many questions, no one to help me. I know people are busy, but in 4 weeks time they could return a phone call.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

kris10msmith wrote:
> I've called every number I can find. I always get transferred to ththe same
> person, and it goes to her voicemail and I don't get a call back. I'm
> unsure if I need another course for moderate/severe and severe/multiple.
> I'm assuming my ID (intellectually disabled) certification is a close match
> to those. If I don't need a course for those, I will focus my time on
> taking th course I know I need for EI. So many questions, no one to help
> me. I know people are busy, but in 4 weeks time they could return a phone
> call.
--------------
I feel your pain. When I needed some individualized attention from the person who had reviewed my file it took many calls, emails and even going over their head before I got a satisfactory response.

Have they actually reviewed your application and made a determination on what you are qualified for? If not, get your app and transcripts in and someone will review it, make a determination of what you need and should post their name/initials on your file. That's the best way to find out what they think you still need. You can then see if sending them a course description or syllabus would change their minds.

In any case, try this:

Go to this link: https://www.usajobs.gov/getjob/printpreview/358730000

The job is no longer active but towards the bottom of the page is the name and number of an HR Supervisor. I have no idea if it will actually ring through to them but it couldn't hurt to leave a message for someone new if nothing else. Be the squeaky wheel.
Last edited by wrldtrvlr123 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@kris10msmith

They dont want to talk to you, and for very good reason HR/HQ is not a career counseling service. They evaluate applications and issue decisions that may or may not result in credentialing. No one wants to talk to a potential candiate who can come back and say "but so and so said this would be accepted) because the reality is you can get all the assurances from HR/HQ and still have your certification course denied, and no one wants to put that in writing through an email. There just isnt any benefit to assisting you, your not an employee, and it wont cause anyone in HR/HQ a moments fretting if you arent hired.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

I understand - just don't want to take additional classes if I don't have to - rather i would focus on taking some towards a new certification. I know I need at least one EI class, to be dodea certified. I guess its up to the interpretation of the reviewer but I'm hoping "Management for Special Needs" counts - all about behavior management, positive behavior supports and FBA/BIP (common practices for EI kids). Again up to the reviewer.
With regards to moderate/severe and perhaps even severe/multiple- I took a class titled "Curriculum and Methods for Severe Disabilities, which I know will count. I also took "Functional and Community Based Instruction". When I finally talked with someone via phone they said they don't know if it will count because the title doesn't say "severe". Common sense tells me we don't teach life skills and functional skills to students without severe disabilities. Problem is, the course is no longer offered at my college because the program has changed - and I don't have access to my course catalog from way back. Hoping it counts!

I do think I should focus on EI - as you said, it's on the rise, and I've actually taught it more.
kris10msmith

Post by kris10msmith »

I'm also curious about the "methods of teaching art, music or PE" course for elementary certification. I have a degree in elementary and special Ed - my university had this requirement too, but also included drama/theatre as an option. Since I was a theatre minor, I took Creative Dramatics to fulfill the requirement and it counted towards my minor as well. So hopefully the theatre for kids class, plus 15 other theatre credits, and 6 credits of music performance classes and a 3 credit Understanding Music should satisfy the requirement, but I'm worried it won't. Lol