School Hiring Policies on Search

jimmycajun

School Hiring Policies on Search

Post by jimmycajun »

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had some input about the school hiring policies on Search, specifically regarding trailing spouses. Are these hard and fast policies schools stick to or is there some room to maneuver? I haven't really been considering schools that have specified they do not hire married couples only one of whom teaches. Am I right to continue this way or has anyone had experience where the school hiring policy did not match their recruitment process?

Thanks
adminpaul

Re: School Hiring Policies on Search

Post by adminpaul »

PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

First, SA and ISS dont set IS recruiting policies those policies are reported from the IS, and some of them dont get updated for years. Despite whats posted on policies exceptions are made. It depends on how desperate the IS is and how marketable the candidate is. While there is some margin to these policies having logistical difficulties as a result of family size can (and often does) kill an IE career or never get it off the ground.

One IT candidate with 4 kids and a trailing spouse who was a maths and ICT teacher with a great resume, was constantly frustrated with how great contacts and interviews were going until their family came up. They had a contract withdrawn when the recruiter failed to ask about family and HR learned of it and informed leadership. After 70 applications over two years of applying and attending a fair they gave up.
shadowjack

Re: School Hiring Policies on Search

Post by shadowjack »

Jimmycajun,

trailing spouses are not a deal breaker to many schools, but will be to some. However, there are good schools that will hire the right teacher with a trailing spouse.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I would concur with @SJ in general, trailing spouses arent usually an issue and they dont have the same cost effect as children.