Search vs. ISS and 3 Dependents

Trojan

Search vs. ISS and 3 Dependents

Post by Trojan »

So, here we are: I am finally ready to play the ISR "What are my chances?" game!

My vitals:
Wife consults with US company (not a teacher, obviously)
2 small, school age children
15 years teaching experience, half in US, half internationally all at one school
US/EU passport
Licensed to teach secondary English and Social Studies
Majority of experience is English (grades 6-12), but have also taught Geography, World History recently
7 years AP experience
LMS Coordinator at school (Moodle); Google Educator (would consider a tech position too)
Open to go just about anywhere

Always interesting to read people's responses to these things, so thanks!

Second question:
I would like to get access to databases and possibly attend a fair. Search and ISS seem to be the major players. Before I pay and fill out all of this paperwork, will they both accept me, at least, as a candidate to access the databases? I have read here that as a rule Search does not even consider teachers with 3 dependents. I did not see that on their FAQ page. Just wanted to find out for sure in advance.

Thanks for any insights you might have.
Overhere

Re: Search vs. ISS and 3 Dependents

Post by Overhere »

My somewhat dated experience had ISS sending our application and cheque back to us with a brief note saying we had too many dependents, that is two teachers with three children. However, my most recent experience has seen teachers hired on with 2 or 3 dependents and in the end I think it comes down to the fact there are no hard and fast "rules" and how badly the school wants you.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Thanks Overhere.

How dated are we talking?

It would be nice to know upfront, but I do understand every case is a bit different and there are no absolutely hard and fast rules.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Trojan,

it isn't the kiss of death, but it moves you further down the line for some schools. Another issue is you are leaving it very late in the season to sign up with either organization. There are hoops to jump through in getting others to provide confidential online references and feedback on your portfolio that schools can access.

Keep us posted!

Shad
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Shad, what exactly "isn't the kiss of death?" The specifics of my resume?

Currently, I'm registering for ISS AND Search until I hear some compelling reason from someone here (or elsewhere) about which is more open to considering me. I'd really prefer to avoid all all the registering business and know from the get-go whether they will allow me to sign up and be a full candidate.

Related question: When asking for references, what is a reasonable amount of time to ask directors/principals to have it ready by? A week? Two? Smart to include a timeline in the initial ask, as in "Can you write me a reference within the next two weeks?"

Thanks!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Trojan - your CV and dependents are not the kiss of death. It makes it harder, yes, but not impossible. One thing that might help is perhaps your wife can search for a job with an international firm that would involve her being posted to where you want to go? That's one idea.

As to timeline, the next time Mrs. Shadowjack and I go recruiting, we will have all our ducks in a row between mid-August to mid-September. By early October at the latest, you want to be seeing the jobs coming across the database. It will take you a week to two weeks to get set up with either Search or ISS after you meet their requirements for documentation and references. By that time, it is mid-November. I can tell you from experience that jobs have come and gone by this point. The good thing is that more jobs will show up :-)

Search has a better database system than ISS. ISS offers online fairs, which cut your travel costs. Myself, next time I will sign up with Search again.

I hope that helps! Good luck and keep us posted.

Shad
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Im going to be more blunt than the previous contributors, a trailing spouse and 2 kids for a literature IT is not a very marketable combination. You will also likely take a significant compensation hit, as only an elite tier IS can afford you, and Lit. ITs are not in high demand.

ISS and SA work differently, of the two, SA is the most likely to take your money and give you database access and some kind of fair invite, but you wont get much else. It will really just be an associate who has a lite client list.

You can use the PsyGuy applicant assessment system below:

PsyGuy Applicant Scoring System:
1) 1 pt / 2 years Experience (Max 10 Years)
2) 1 pt - Advance Degree (Masters)
3) 1 pt - Cross Certified (Must be schedule-able)
4) 1 pt - Curriculum Experience (IB, AP, IGCSE)
5) 1pt - Logistical Hire (Single +.5 pt, Couple +1 pt)
6) .5 pt - Previous International School Experience (standard 2 year contract)
7) .5 pt - Leadership Experience/Role (+.25 HOD, +.5 Coordinator)
8) .5 pt - Extra Curricular (Must be schedule-able)
9) .25 pt - Special Populations (Must be qualified)
10) .25 pt - Special Skill Set (Must be documentable AND marketable)
11) -1 for each dependent.

IT CLASSES:
1) INTERN ITs have a score around 0
2) ENTRY ITs have a score around 2
3) CAREER ITs have a score around 4
4) PROFESSIONAL ITs have a score around 6
5) MASTER ITs have a score around 8
Lebenstraum

Post by Lebenstraum »

PsyGuy -
I am interested in your Applicant Scoring System. How does this translate to hire-ability? In the US sometimes being a master teacher is actually a liability because you cost more and they could hire a newbie for cheaper. I'm new to IE (attending my first fair in Boston), but not new to teaching and wonder if that is an issue overseas as well.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Lebenstraum

The higher your score the more competitive you are within a market pool this is judged against a specific vacancy (real or theoretical). Everyone does ASPs for example but only if an IS has a real need for someone to lead a particular activity that they can market to parents is it worth anything.

Salary/experience caps and compensation vs. salary minimize a lot of the "over qualified" effect. In many cases the salary/compensation scale is not open (published), a recruiter/leadership will offer you what they think you are worth based on their budget and what the average in the market is. Essentially, an IS will happily higher a master IT over a career IT, at a career IT compensation package.
ISs further price out standard OSH compensation components such as housing, utilities, relocation, insurance that dont change based on IT class banding. Master ITs get the same housing as Entry class ITs. When you look at salary packages there isnt much difference between steps.
Many ISs have caps on maximum steps, so even if you have 15 years experience, if the IS caps experience at 10 years thats likely what your going to get.
Lastly, most ISs are private/independent ISs and they pay similar to what you would find at equivalent independent/private DSs you would find locally.
Heimtun

Post by Heimtun »

I'm not sure whether it makes a difference whether the three dependents come from a) a trailing spouse and two kids, or b) two teachers with three children, but we fall into the latter category. Our positions are not highly specialized or sought after--no IB Chem--but on our first try at the UNI Fair, we were hired by a fantastic school that offers a desirable package. The location requires some adventure, but that's what we wanted, and we're thrilled to be a part of our school community.

Statistics showed that only 7% of teachers with two or more dependents get jobs at the UNI Fair; not sure what Search or ISS numbers are like...but you are an individual, so don't let that stop you. Go to a fair, contact schools...if you want to make this happen, make it happen; don't let numbers discourage you. And don't let others on this forum discourage you, either.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Search tells you that at the Bangkok job fair, less than 1% of candidates hired have trailing spouses. However, 3 years ago I went to that fair with a trailing spouse (as did Shadowjack) and was hired (I think Shadowjack was hired there as well).

So you never know. Just go to the fair (or a few) and be open to as many locations as possible.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

UNI has a higher success rate because they are less elective in candidates, its basically a school job fair and they take just about anyone who pays for a one day/weekend event. The premium agencies (SA/ISS) have a lower success rate partially because they reject candidates who are logistically difficult or improbable hires.

Kids are worse than spouses, they take time and priority from the parents who are teachers and their tuition waivers/places have real value. The average value of a tuition waiver is $10K, 3 kids is asking the IS to give you $30K more in compensation, which is less an issue in ISs that arent at capacity but as enrollment grows those seats start costing real tuition fees.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

And Durianfan, Mrs. Shadowjack is no longer a trailing spouse! woohoo!
senator

Post by senator »

I have to ask: Why do you want to teach overseas? With so many dependents, you probably won't save anything and your lifestyle will not be up to the same standards as your colleagues who are either single or couples with both teaching.

If you are doing this mainly to live the expat lifestyle/see the world/experience different cultures, you might be disappointed in that you may not be able to afford to do much of that outside your local area - which can be enough, given the right country/city.

Remember also that a lot of schools do not feel any obligation to help with your dependent situation and you may be left to fend for yourself.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Beware of some admin at the so called elite schools, who will promise the moon to your dependents and as soon as you touchdown, they will just ignore and treat you like a single.