Medical coverage pre existing conditions

travelchicky

Medical coverage pre existing conditions

Post by travelchicky »

I've been an international teacher for many years. I am hoping to move to a new job position but have a major concern. I had cancer and although I am fine now I am worried about how my coverage will be in another school/country/insurance.

Has anyone had experience with this? Any advice?
MaryAnne

Re: Medical coverage pre existing conditions

Post by MaryAnne »

Depends. This was a concern for us, as my partner is a 5year cancer survivor. However, TIE care, which is a major provider at least in Asia, does not take pre-existing conditions into account at all, although the contract I had with the school did stipulate that all conditions has to be disclosed (weird that, I think it might have been school's way of getting otherwise private information). I changed jobs this year, different country, different provider. Pre-existing conditions also not an issue. I disclosed fully at interview, and followed up, asking for written assurance, making it clear lack of coverage would be a deal breaker. Your situation is different in that it was your own health, and the school might balk at taking a chance. On the other hand, most know a partner's health will also have serious implications. One other thing, when my partner discussed impending move to Korea with doctors, they said - if you get sick there, stay there! The health care generally is fantastic. Still think we would head for home though, if the unthinkable happened. Good luck.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@travelchicky

It really depends, for some ISs there insurance carrier will not accept you, for others it wont be an issue. Be very careful an IS may higher you butt hen find out you have no coverage if you relapse, and you may even be terminated.

Another option to consider is a region that has a strong social insurance program.