What should our plan of attack be?

roaminggator

What should our plan of attack be?

Post by roaminggator »

I apologize in advance for asking so many questions, but I know you are all a fantastic source for all things IT. My husband and I are both teachers (him 3 years high school history, including AP World), me middle school math (MYP, certified in Math 6-12 and Science 5-9...3 years experience). In the next 3 or so years we plan to pursue IT. We have two dependents that would be school age by the time we leave. We are open to locations with the possible exception of ME.

Question 1: I'm thinking about leaving MYP and teaching senior level math (AP Calculus/AP Statistics, etc). I know IB is important, but would MYP trump senior level math?

Question 2: My husband has a 20 year old DUI. Are we dead in the water?

Question 3: I do not have a degree in math (I have a PhD in Sociology with a focus on advanced statistics) or in education (I hold a permanent teaching certification thanks to the PhD and uni level teaching). Should I begin pursuing either a degree in Math or a master's in education? If I don't have one or the other will we find jobs difficult to secure even with excellent references?

I appreciate any and all feedback
Nomads

Re: What should our plan of attack be?

Post by Nomads »

1. In my opinion, upper level math (AP or IB) is more desirable than only MYP math. Ideally, it would be good to have experience and interest in both. Flexibility will be key particularly in smaller schools.

2. Your husband is not dead in the water. Be honest and careful about how you answer the question on applications or in interviews. Most places ask if you have been convicted of a felony. Note, that more and more schools are moving towards federal or national fingerprint background checks. It is always better to be open and transparent about it than try to hide it. As an administrator, I would not hold a 20 year DUI against him provided there were no other offences since then. However, if someone told me there was nothing and I found out later there was a felony than I would either not make the hire or even rescind the offer after the contract was signed for lying.

3. Some places would have a concern with you teaching the upper ends of math (IB HL) without a major in mathematics but most will not. I would encourage you to pursue a masters if that is your passion or to be a better teacher, not to be more attractive to schools. Experience trumps university preparation.
roaminggator

Re: What should our plan of attack be?

Post by roaminggator »

Thank you very much for the feedback! I'd definitely be open to both MYP and higher level maths (or middle school science). My thinking was that I should have experience teaching the higher level maths rather than just the certification and transcripts showing Calc 3 and graduate level statistics courses. At this point, I think I've had enough of graduate school so I'm glad to hear it won't be necessary unless I feel drawn to it later (I'd consider Ed Leadership in the future). Truly appreciate the feedback since I don't want to be working towards IT in a few years only to find it isn't an option because x,y, and z weren't done.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Can you get into DIP level maths now since you have a few years? At the DIP/AP/A levels those curriculum standards are very congruent. Your success in teaching AP Maths with prior IB experience would be more marketable than MYP only lower secondary maths. ISs expect a secondary IT to be capable of teaching all secondary levels. Being able to show you can do that regardless of curriculum is marketable.

You arent dead in the water. After 20 years assuming there is no other more recent incidences its not going to be an issue. There are ISs that have so many applications they will use anything to discard an IT. However, I would use it as an opportunity to discover the ISs that really recognize your value. Depending how the DUI is reported and located, assuming its only in a state database, and your in a different state, I would consider not disclosing it.

I would advise against further academics. ISs care about 2 things that make an ITs resume what you can do (degrees, certifications, etc) and what you have done (experience). Of the two experience is king. If you can move to school leaving courses and show success with those courses, a degree/major etc. doesnt matter.