History Teaching in Turkey

joethelion

History Teaching in Turkey

Post by joethelion »

Years ago, I recall a twenty year HS History vet telling me he was unable to get a job teaching History in Turkey, because he did not have a History degree from college. I'm pretty sure he had at least a Masters (in Social Studies teaching or something like that), but this wasn't enough. He said that a school actually offered him a Language Arts job because they liked him--even thought he'd never taught LA--but that the Ministry of Education won't allow international school to hire a History teacher without an actual History degree.

Anyone know if that's still true?
shadylane

Re: History Teaching in Turkey

Post by shadylane »

It's true that the Turkish Ministry requires appropriate qualifications to teach each subject. To get round this, schools will sometimes hire people officially for the subject their degree is in, then give them the classes that they were hired for.

Humanities is a different issue. Only the International Schools hire English speaking Humanities teachers, (IICS, MEF IS, BISI and Gateway). Turkish National Schools (Robert College, Enka, Koc etc.) will not hire non-turks to teach humanities.
sand_fan

Post by sand_fan »

Too piggy bag on the OP...any idea how the ministry in Turkey views graduate degrees as qualifying. For example liberal arts bachelors but Masters in say economics, will the ministry grant a visa to teach economics, or is this another case where a liberal arts degree is worthless and the masters is not considered?
joethelion

Post by joethelion »

Thanks for the info, folks. Seems like it would be difficult, at least, to end up there. I've always really enjoyed the country.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Agree with @shadylane. Its common in several countries with very specific hiring requirements for ITs, and how these ISs get around the regulation by hiring you for your qualified area, but assigning you to different classes that fit your expertise and experience.

Turkey will accept a Masters in a content field as long as its directly in the teaching area. For instance a M.A. in history will be accepted for a history teacher but an M.Ed in teaching social studies will not likely be accepted.