Singapore

Spawnboy99

Singapore

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Ok people please help, have being offered a leadership position at an ELY centre we are still in negotiation but the offer so far is free accommodation in standard 2-3 bedroom apartment, health care for me not wife, shipping and return airfares yearly for me and wife and a salary of around 6000SD per month is this fair, school is small with only 200-250 students.
National

Re: Singapore

Post by National »

That seems decent. The higher paying schools are in the S$7000/month range, so S$6000 is competitive. This is for teachers however, and I would imagine that management should be higher pay -- but you are at a very small place... You may want to ask if you'll get a 13th month bonus -- most schools give it (it's a SG thing). Yearly flights is a bonus. The only two things I would do more research on is the accommodation. Most schools in Singapore give you a housing allowance and you find your own place. Will the school be choosing for you or are you getting an allowance? Condos in SG run between 2-4k/month depending on your location and size. With only one salary, you won't be able to save much, but you can live on $6000/month in SG very comfortably and you should be able to do some travel as well.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

@National 2-3 apartment/condo is provide free in the Newton area they say it's of high standard and in central location.
Also are you saying people are spending 6000sd a month. Understand it's expensive did some research on supermarket costing etc so can see costing etc was thinking as food and transport and utilities costing is the only thing we are spending really was thinking saving could be higher as we don't need to spend anything on accommodation
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Your housing is worth about $4K SD, so your compensation package is worth about $10K/month. For an IT thats pretty good (even without insurance for the wife). The issue is we dont know what level of leadership your being recruited for. If its executive level leadership $10K SD is bad. If its senior leadership than $10K SD and the package you describe is just barely, barely acceptable. Can you hire your wife for something? Is there exclusive use of a vehicle? Insurance for your spouse as a something you can negotiate. What about the housing utilities and maintenance fees? Mobile allowance? If you can negotiate a few more perks out of the IS that makes the offer more congruent with the market. If its a junior leadership position than its okay.

You need $5K SD just to survive in SD as a 1LDK apartment that isnt a room or house share is about $2.5K SD. That and taxes doesnt leave much left. Your housing is provided (I would inquire about utilities, maintenance fees, etc). You will have to pay taxes on the total value of your compensation including the housing which will be about $1.5K SD. This will leave you with $4.5K SD. Its not just supermarket; 2 metro passes will cost you $200SD, 2 mobile plans $220SD, Internet in your residence $50SD, utilities $250SD (maybe $300SD), athletic club membership for a couple $300SD. This isnt counting Taxis or any of the things like eating out, groceries, or just "stuff". Singapore is one the most expensive places to live in the world.
National

Post by National »

@spawnboy99

I was saying that you can live and travel on S$6000/month. It all depends on how you live as far as how much you spend. If you live conservatively, don't eat out much (except hawker stalls - eat at those as much as you like!), and limit how much alcohol you drink at home or out, you can easily live on S$3-4K/month. Groceries are expensive, and since Newton is in the downtown area, the grocery stores will be more expensive than if you lived further out of the city area. It is very doable for two people without kids to live in SG for that salary and save, but you won't be saving a ton.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Ok so going backwards and forwards with negotiations this is what they have come up with. Accommodation is the owners old apartment and it's 3brm 1200 plus feet, It will not be part of the salary package hence don't need to pay tax on it. I'm responsible for utilities cost. Travel within school day too both campus is fully covered or the use of a private driver. Medical insurance for only myself and not my wife. Salary is 5600sd per month. shipping is 2500sd reimbursed after 6 month. Trying to negotiate 13 month bonus. Airfare for both of us is covered. Only 21 paid holidays a year plus national and public days.

tax is it 7% on income what is it for general food etc.
Like Malaysia does Singapore do the EPF???

What do people think to me sounds on the lowish side but not paying rent and isn't part of the salary package is a positive. Have to remember this is a small international learning centre with only 250 students.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

Now accommodation is not furnished which is a huge surprise as this is a misunderstanding maybe from both sides. Get free accommodation in an area I don't choose and have been told I have to pay to fully furnish it. What people think about this, have asked just to give me an allowance but this will not be possible. Where I can find a small place that is already furnished understand you would need to pay deposit etc, but in my eyes in the long run would be cheaper. Airfare is only provided for me not my wife. Shipping allowance now both ways but school year is a crazy 47 weeks seriously what the ....
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@spawnboy99

How bad do you need this appointment? You have reached your employers cap, and all you doing is shuffling numbers around. You are also losing some of that value. First the salary is $6000SD now its $5600SD, first its dual airfare, now its just you.

You have zero rights to this apartment, you are essentially a guest, and ownership will be your property owner. Not furnished means you will have to furnish it out of pocket which will be FAR more expensive than deposits on a furnished apartment (you get deposits back).

Why do you have to wait 6 months on the shipping reimbursement, do you have that much to reimburse? Standard for an admin is 30 days first salary disbursement. It would be better to negotiate a relocation allowance of $2500. You are also missing your annual bonus.

Singapore has its version of EPF, its called CPF (Centralized Provident Fund), same thing different name.

You essentially have a 330 day contract, and your getting under compensated for it, even if it is a small learning center (and 250 students isnt that small for an IS). Your IS has an IT budget for its leadership, unless its this or nothing, walk.
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

@PsyGuy kind of desperate but not that desperate thanks for your honesty and appreciate this.
Cheers.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I think that S$5600 is not really a salary that you can save much, especially since it is for two people. However, your wife will certainly have opportunities to teach in one of the many language schools. Having said all that, I semi-retired in Singapore (at the end of my 24 years there) as a PR (permanent resident), and I lived fairly comfortably on the amount that you are being paid, but again, you will not save much.

You do not get CPF unless you are a PR or a citizen. You would not be a PR, since you will have an employment pass only. In other words, you will get CPF as part of your package.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Rob

I dont know, this ownership sounds like they may pass off the CPF onto the OSH. I would advise the LW to bring this up.