Beneficial to have multiple teaching certificates?

shadowjack

Re: Beneficial to have multiple teaching certificates?

Post by shadowjack »

@PG

Your chances of getting a job in the Maritimes or Newfoundland is next to nothing. You could go north to Nunavut or NWT, but they only offer 5 year expiring certificates after an initial 2 or 3 year certification from the territory.

You could sit around in Ontario. The school systems in Alberta are still growing, although that might change with the new Prentice government and their cuts due to the collapse in the price of oil.

Plus Alberta requires NO PD hours, while Nova Scotia requires 100 hours every 5 years.

Alberta - once you've got it, you've got it.

As for the BC cert being "just a piece of paper", no, you're wrong. A piece of paper is just a piece of paper. A teaching certificate issued by the Province of BC is valid. It might be dormant until you pay, but it is valid. When you reactivate, they don't issue you a new one, or give you a new number. You just activate it again. It retains its validity, as I said, until a teacher has not taught in an accredited school for 10 years, upon which time the teacher must retrain at university.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

I agree your chance of obtaining a contract in Newfoundland , etc are very close to zero, but you dont need any employment service to apply for and receive the permanent certificate, making it a moot point for ITs. Apply, obtain certificate, teach in IE. You need not spend anytime in providence to obtain the permanent certificate.

PEI is the same apply, receive permanent certificate and your forever done.

That is in error, its a piece of paper if its validity is not supported by the BC teachers regulation branch. An expired and invalid certificate is just that, invalid. It does not matter who issued it, or that at one time it was valid, what matters is the validity at present as determined by the regulatory authority.
teachingagain1945

Post by teachingagain1945 »

IAMBOG, any more info on how to get that UK Certificate/QTS certification? Any links you can share?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@teachingagain1945

You can find the online QTS application for OTTs here:

https://teacherservices.education.gov.u ... ecognition
teachingagain1945

Post by teachingagain1945 »

Thanks psyguy and iambog.
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

So, following on from teachingagain1945, is there a way for a non US citizen with QTS to get an American licence?
National

Post by National »

Certification is done state-by-state in the U.S. So there is no one answer to your question. I have had certification in three different states and they all have different requirements and hoops to jump through. You'd need to visit each individual state's department of education to find out if you can get certified there. Some states that I know other international teachers have used because of limited/easier requirements: Montana, Missouri, New Jersey, and Colorado.

One thing to keep in mind is that a permanent certificate is getting rarer and rarer in the states. Most states require that you complete a certain number of hours of professional development that is documented in a specific way to renew an expiring certificate. There are a few out there that still offer permanent certificates, but you have to search to find them.
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

Thank National,

Doe you know which states accept non U.S. citizens who do not live in the U.S. for a licence? My understanding is that many states have a requirement that a non U.S. Citizen must teach in the state from be eligible.
National

Post by National »

I am not sure if you can get one if you don't plan to teach in the US, but New Jersey has an option if you completed your education in a foreign country. From my quick perusal, it doesn't seem to have a residency requirement. When I had questions, I emailed them and they got right back to me, so I would suggest you do the same if you are interested.

http://www.state.nj.us/education/educat ... ountry.htm
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Smurf

D.C. (District of Columbia) and Hawaii are the preferred pathways for foreign licensed teachers. Hawaii is preferred if you have 3 years teaching experience (effective 1 July 2015), otherwise D.C. each Now uses D.C. as their certification authority. Eventually, you will want to park your certification in CA.

Colorado is only advantageous if you intend to pursue Librarian certification and Missouri is only advantageous if you have a Doctorate.

NJ has what is called a "Non Citizen Standard" certificate you can qualify for its issuance based on a foreign credential, but you can not renew it with out providing proof of working towards US citizenship, without that it would expire. NJ is a very disadvantageous state to apply for certification:

1) Praxis testing would be a requirement (most states would require it actually).
2) NJ has an induction program similar to CA, if for some reason you are not issued a standard certificate (such as a CE or CEAS) you would not be able to clear it and obtain a standard certificate, as doing so would require teaching in NJ.
3) NJ has a lot of discretion to grant or deny certification, and their are some esoteric requirements (IE personal hygiene requirements). You may or may not be issued a credential subject to who happens to be reviewing your application at the time.
4) Adding endorsements requires extensive coursework.
5) NJ certificates do not have the reputation, status and prestige of other US certificates (CA).
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

Thanks Psyguy. I have more than three years experience post certification and I'm just looking to add a U.S. licence. I'm at an elite tier school already but I'd like to open up the option of working in the big American curriculum schools which doesn't seem to be likely without being a U.S./Canadian citizen or a licence from these countries.

So either D.C. Or Hawaii are equally good options for someone who has never lived or taught in the US but is already certified with experience?

Why do you recommend CA as a destination?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Smurf

Hawaii is the preferred pathway if you have 3 or more years certification, its the most convenient and easiest: 1) No Exams and 2) No CRB, just an application, your QTS, transcript (NACES Foreign Credential Evaluation) and work/experience verification. One packet in the post and processing takes a month. You do not pay the licensing fee until they have evaluated your application. If you apply now (deadline 1 July, 2015) you dont even need the verification of teaching experience. If you have 5 years of teaching experience you would qualify for a Hawaii Advance license.

D.C. would require you to take three Praxis exams (Core, PLT, and Subject) and submit to a CRB review. D.C. would be preferred if you were pursuing an administrator/leadership credential in the future.

CA drives WASC accreditation which is the most common US accrediting agency in American Curriculum IE (due to Asia), and is the most recognized in IE. More importantly, a CA CLEAR credential requires no PD to renew every 5 years.
CA licensing for outside applicants is very convoluted, you need advance study (Masters, 150 hr Bachelors, or 150 hours of Professional Activities), and the most difficult hurdle is meeting the English Learner Authorization, which outside CA requires a full ESOL teaching certificate/endorsement.
One of the advantages of both HI and D.C. is that you can add additional certification areas of endorsement by completing the appropriate Praxis exam.
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Would it be possible to be granted HI certification with 3 years experience (gained as a provisionally licensed AUS teacher)?

Or do they need you to have gained the three years as a fully certified teacher?

Cheers
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@OzGrad

Yes, provisional registration is equivalent to the HI initial certification, and with 3 years experience (FTE) you would meet the experiential requirement, assuming your three years of experience is within the last 5 years. Your bachelors degree would meet the basic skills requirement, and your major would meet the content knowledge requirement. NACES report will provide the degree/major verification, and verify your completion of an ITT/EPP program (assuming you completed one). You would thus qualify for the Standard certification. There is no CRB requirement.

The real issue is you have to have verification of three years of teaching experience from leadership (principal/director) and no offense, but it has to be 'successful' experience and based on the requirements to transition from provisional to full registration with three years experience the only barrier would be a substandard (below proficient) professional evaluation or non-recommendation by leadership?