for Kathryn3/ Please do more research before judging

missy

for Kathryn3/ Please do more research before judging

Post by missy »

quote "kathryn3" = I review the web site frequently, and find it fascinating. I have wanted to teach overseas, but because of the unjust treatment of teachers in many of the countries, I have yet to do so.
Here in the US we have a union we can go to.
I'm very appreciative of ISR. Before them, the schools got away with everything without others knowing. Now we can be warned."

We agree that the Al Bayan incident seems drastic and unfair.

We also agree that ISR is a great tool for international teachers. We also have worked at both great and not-so-great international schools.

BUT it is NOT the only resource for those of us who have been overseas for many years. In fact, some of the reviews written in here are not always accurate as directors leave or one person's experience may not be another person's experience. Seasoned international teachers understand this and do their extra-research.
Since you have never taught overseas ,kathryn3, how can you comment on the international school experience ? When working overseas it is important to develop "cultural sensitivity" or you might as well as stay in your own country. This concept (being culturally sensitive) is one of the fundamental principals when you are an ESL teacher. It is a concept you must be ready to apply ,no matter what your grade level, when you take a teaching assignment overseas.
We would also refrain from making comments regarding the "unjust treatment" teachers receive in many countries versus the " union system" in the US educational system. We have seen unions in public schools do VERY little in terms of protecting teacher's so-called rights thus demonstrating that things can and will go just as crazy in the USA as overseas.
We hope you will not take our comments as being too "harsh". It is not our intention to disrespect you in any way.
We are just getting tired of seeing how some comments in this forum about international teaching are made by those with little overseas experience or by those who try to apply their personal teaching experience to the entire international teaching world. Let us all try to remember that one person's experience will not necessarily mean that the same will happen in another school/country.
Teaching overseas can be an awesome experience, kathryn3, if you do your research and expect the unexpected !!!
kathryn3

Post by kathryn3 »

I appreciate your comments. And I realize that wonderful experiences do occur. I guess I am just afraid of the bad experiences that can, and do, happen.
I wish you the very best, and realize that cultural education is a tremendous part of teaching abroad.
Respectfully,
Kathryn3
missy

Post by missy »

No problem Kathryn.
Do give it a try...you will enjoy teaching overseas despite the pros and cons.
Peace out.
miski

Post by miski »

Missy says :'When working overseas it is important to develop "cultural sensitivity" or you might as well as stay in your own country. This concept (being culturally sensitive) is one of the fundamental principals when you are an ESL teacher. It is a concept you must be ready to apply ,no matter what your grade level, when you take a teaching assignment overseas. '

This is so true, and it is what angers us longtimers abroad when people disrespect our adopted home. This is why we get so irate. Every culture has its good oints and bad points and every culture suffers to some degree with corruption and worker exploitation. However I think the problem lies in the fact that people go abroad and expect to bring their own country's rights, laws and traditions with them. This can't happen and if you want to be in a little enclave of America abroad, then it's better to stay at home.