Who is dropping the MYP?

tangchao

Who is dropping the MYP?

Post by tangchao »

I've seen the latest 'developments' in the MYP. Seems like more hoops to jump through. When compared to the DP, the MYP demands so much but delivers so very little.

I have heard that many schools have now had enough of the MYP and are dropping it, but other than the example of a school in Singapore, I haven't seen any solid evidence of this.

Is there anywhere to get some candid information on the MYP? Obviously the IB is not the place.
shadowjack

Re: Who is dropping the MYP?

Post by shadowjack »

I really like New Chapter and the MYP in general. There is more information required on units - but once you have input it (ATLs, LP links, etc) then it is done and you can move on. Had an online training course recently and learned quite a bit, even though I was fairly up to date with everything already. Our school is staying with it.

Just my 2 cents,

shad
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not like the MYP added very much, 50 hours in each of 8 subjects/year. 50 hours is nothing thats a couple months. The external assessments and MYP certificate are options (a program to compete with the IGCSE). Moderation was always a little too subjective in my experience. The expansion of the project to earlier years is aligned with the IB ethos and Im happy to see it as a requirement. A number of IB MYP programs only went to year 8 or 9 and provided no culmination for portfolio.

Those ISs have had "enough" because they didnt have very much (if anything) to begin with. Previously, MYP was Jello, you could make it anything or nothing that you wanted. It was a local/home/regional/national curriculum and program with an IB label on it,. The IB was essentially endorsing whatever that ISs admin/ownership wanted. Those ISs werent contributing anything to the IB reputation or international program vision. They wont be missed.
sciteach

Re: Who is dropping the MYP?

Post by sciteach »

Although the MYP is probably the weakest of the three IB Programs, I do like many of the changes made in the Next Chapter. People are mainly complaining that it is more difficult because it's something new and they have to re-learn things.

I've found that the main problems many schools have with MYP is that they feel as though the MYP is burden to the school. However, the MYP is there to help support the learning and not control everything. Many people read the MYP in different ways - especially Admin's who think that it has to run a specific way and they may see this as going 'against the ethos' of their school.

It's also a fact that not all schools are meant to be MYP schools with what they are trying to achieve. For example, QSI schools will probably never have the MYP as they look more at the mastery approach which kind of goes against the idea of the inquiry cycle.

There are definitely schools which are leaving the MYP, but more schools are probably joining as it's seen as a global recognised brand which many expat parents know. Many of the schools who leave the MYP probably do so as it's not a good fit for their school - but I doubt that many people on this forum will share this information.

As such, I'm sorry to say that you might not find many true sources that you were looking for here - but more opinions such as what I am giving.

Many schools have found the IGCSE to be a good program which limits the jargon used. I've also heard good things about International Middle Years Curriculum. It's kind of like the MYP without all of the extra work such as the unit plans, jargon, CP & PP. I've not taught this though so I'm not sure if it's true or not. Do note that this program has the least brand recognition out of the three but is also probably the cheapest.

I hope this is helpful
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

MYP is a burden when ISs that werent doing anything with it except for wedging in a national curriculum or were just doing whatever the IS or the teachers just felt like doing now have something they are being told to do.

I dont know if thats a fact, I dont think any school is meant to be anything, as if its preordained or fate. An IS can change and it can change to adopt and be a good fit for MYP, that might be a brutally painful change but it can happen.

IGCSE has its own lexicon and vocabulary and the IB (all the programs) requires learning a new dictionary,

The IMYC (International Middle years Program) just like the IPC is just a cheap copy of the IB programs, by a group that read the IBO for dummies.