Beijing Questions

Monkey

Re: Beijing Questions

Post by Monkey »

That's a pretty tough budget to work with in Beijing. $1000USD is roughly 6000RMB. Most apartments in Wangjing/Lido/Chaoyang Park areas are more in the 9,000RMB+ range. That being said, I do know someone who found a studio apartment in the Liangmaqiao area for about 6500RMB. Or maybe it's a 1 bedroom apartment, not sure. Either way, it's not going to be easy to find something for only 6000RMB.
momentofclarity

Post by momentofclarity »

Don't expect it to fall anytime soon. There is a desperate hope some new reforms and tax changes for landlords will help, but it hasn't made an effect on the ground. If you want to live in the city, you are going to be paying to live in the city. Even out in the burbs (where I live) prices are high. Check out www.thebeijinger.com, lots of accommodation listed.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

This has the potential for me to rant. I hate, hate apartment searches in China. So many things lead to it being a very frustrating experience.

Part of the issue for cost is you also get the "Foreigner Tax" added on when you go to look for apartments in China. It's even worse if you are not a white foreigner. My friends who are married to Chinese people and have them do the looking without the spouse being around get much better prices. In my opinion, real estate people in China are real sleazy and do all kinds of things that don't help the person looking for a place.

And speaking Chinese, even as a foreigner, doesn't give you that much of a break, though being informed and speaking Chinese can get you a better price if you deal with the right folks. English speaking real estate agents tend to set their prices higher and show higher end properties. The price is very dependent on how much they think you will pay. I've had Chinese friends offer to help me with the search to help me get a better price, but that has it's own pitfalls. If I was dating a Chinese person, I might take them up on that offer and it could work out.

Those websites tend to list fake sites according to my friends and are just meant to drive business to particular real estate agents.

Another issue is the length of the leases. They may not want to sign leases longer than 1 year. Essentially, a lot of owners are fine with their property being empty. There are reasons that this kind of makes sense for them, but the rental market is far less competitive than it would be in other countries that say have yearly property tax.

Often, the best thing for the first year is to find a teacher who is leaving Beijing that has had a good experience. Good luck.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree completely with eion_padraig, there is huge variability in the housing market and who you are has a great deal of influence in how much you pay and even what properties you see have access too. The property agents see a foreigner coming and all the prices go up, and this isnt just true in China, its a trend all over Asia.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

There is a huge variability but being a foreigner doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be screwed. Our rent hasn't changed in the four years we've lived here and I know for a fact that our landlord could be getting more for it than she currently does but she likes the stability and having foreigners in her apt.