Teaching Couple- No dependents

appleseed

Teaching Couple- No dependents

Post by appleseed »

I am coming from a good tier 2 international school in South East Asia, with more than 8 years internationally, 3 degrees in my subject/education and I have some publications as well. I had 11 interviews for good schools at the Search fair in London and have had approximately 1 interview each week since then; yet no offers. One principal at the fair even literally said "oh wow" when he looked over my resume. I know my resume looks great (not to be arrogant or anything) and I did very well on almost all of my interviews (except for one whose educational philosophy conflicted with mine); however, it seems that schools only want to hire teaching couples with no dependents or a single teacher with no trailing spouse.

A few years back when I was still childless and single (and my resume was not half as good as it is now) I had lots of offers at great schools and I am still targeting the same schools and regions, but now I am not getting those same kinds of offers.

The annoying thing is that I had to give my current school notice in October and am nervous I might end up at a lower quality school.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
shadowjack

Re: Teaching Couple- No dependents

Post by shadowjack »

You don't make it clear whether you have dependents or not. It reads like you don't, but comes across like you do.

It seems there is a distinct cold aura around those teachers who cost more, except among the top tier schools or he lower tier schools.

Good luck. BTW - what subjects do you teach? Also, have you looked at tesjobs.co.uk or TIEonline?

shad
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Tried to PM you, but apparently you have it disabled. PM me?
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

I'm going to assume that you have a trailing spouse and/or dependents.

Yes, it is frustrating. I had the same experience. When I was single but with little experience, I had job offers and interviews aplenty. Years down the track with far more experience, wisdom and skill but with a 'trailing spouse', things are far more difficult.

It seems ridiculous that the "better" schools are so keen to save the two or three thousand USD that a trailing spouse would cost them that they by and large seem to screen out such candidates and the experience they come with; but I believe the scramble for young singles has become something of a competition amongst them now. In fact, the Bangkok fair with SA is now exclusive to singles and teaching couples.

One thing that has helped has been getting my spouse into the trade as a teachers' aide. Fortunately, she loves and has excelled at this job. She has had some PYP training already and she is keen to increase her education in the job.

Of course, I know that we are going to find ourselves back down the bottom of the heap again if we have children.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Logistical hires and challenges are common, and its become far more common since the global credit recession.

The limit is typically a 1:1 ratio of employee and dependents, after that its just cost prohibitive. ISs want value, and kids are a career killer, spouses are somewhat better depending what the spouse can do. The average cost of a tuition waiver for a child is $10k, and if the IS is full than thats real revenue and tuition that is lost. It is far more than a couple thousand in airfare for an IS to sponsor a dependent over. The cost is closer to $10K a dependent. Aside from that theres nothing silly about it. Why spend $3K more than you have to, if you had 2 vehicles that were identical and one was $3,000 more than the other would you pay more if you didnt have to? Most ITs would argue that they arent identical, that they bring more value, but the reality is when it comes to cost of staffing a classroom you dont need great, or good, you need successful. Anything beyond that is just wasted expense. Most ITs over value their utility and uniqueness.

Id start looking for another domestic position as April approachs or consider withdrawing your notice if possible. There have been literally rocket scientists, doctors, lawyers, and Ph.Ds with families that cant get hired because they are too logistcally too expensive.