Leysin American School Switzerland

tsalicco

Leysin American School Switzerland

Post by tsalicco »

I have looked at the posts on Switzerland but haven't been able to find anything on this particular school. It seems many schools I have found on TIE are third tier...any reviews on Leysin?
adminpaul

Re: Leysin American School Switzerland

Post by adminpaul »

You'll find a 9 lengthy reviews of this school in the member section of the site. The latest is 2012. However the same admin is in place today so I would say it's safe to assume the school is about the same today. PM me if you still have trouble finding the reviews. Ben @ ISR
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Leysin wouldn't be a bad place to start. It's a boarding school so teachers have to do double duty, and also live in the dorms. Students who are kicked out of other schools often end up there, as student expectations are a bit more lax. Some years back, a student stole a car and struck/killed a pedestrian.

I don't think you can hardly save a penny, but you can have fun. Skiing is a part of the curriculum. The director told me that teachers can take students skiing to nearby ski hills like Chamonix,France on weekends. There are certainly worse places you can end up.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree with Nikkor. Every region has its lower tier schools and Leysin is one such school though in a great region. Many ITs would be happy and thrilled with the idea of working in Switzerland regardless of the schools tier.
cmo

Post by cmo »

Having been working in the region for a while, the life style in the alps is great. The kids are diverse and the quality of outdoor activities within 2 hours drive world class. As it is a boarding school, staff operates under the triple treat (teaching, after school and dorms)
In the past 5 years most admin have changed though and the kids stealing a car and hitting a pedestrian was definitely not in Leysin.
As to the academic level I would recommend you take a look at the college acceptance list of last year (it's posted on their website as it is for most Swiss schools). Kids at LAS seem to be happy and engaged in activities.
There are no major discipline issues there beyond the usual. Have a look at the video of a brand new sports facility online and their good professional development.
Let me know if you want to know more about this school as I work there.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Your an admin cheerleader who joined today to defend their school, how convenient. No teacher describes dorm, ASP, and teaching as a "treat". I dont know anyone who doesnt have outdoor activities within a 2 hour commute, thats a long commute.

Tertiary admissions dont indicate academic quality, they are more a measure of student resources. Students from really low performing schools get into Ivy Unis, because they are the exception not the norm. More likely you selected students who would be succesful regarless of what IS they attended.

Why would we trust the schools media and public relations marketing and advertising, because the school and admin say so and they made a video.