Years experience and work permits

anlily

Years experience and work permits

Post by anlily »

Hi all-

I recently accepted a position that was posted as needing 3 years experience. When the director interviewed and hired me, he knew and understood that I only had 2 years experience. I'm currently trying to get all the paperwork to HR at the school I will *maybe* be at and the HR person keeps telling me I need a letter certifying that I have 3 years experience.

I am now being told that I cannot get a work permit without the letter of three years experience. I can understand that a lot of it has to do with government regulations in the country that I'm going to however, the director MUST have known this when he hired me and I was offered a contract. Even with student teaching I can't pull an extra year of teaching out of thin air. I have tried telling HR that the director knew of my lack of 3 years and hired me regardless.

Any advice here? Has anybody else have problems with this in the past? What have you done? I have sent a letter certifying the 2 years I have worked. I'm so frustrated about this ontop of all my other end of the year stresses, that I don't even know what to do.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

I have had a similar problem when trying to get my British qualifications recognised by a HR person who had only dealt with Americans previously and couldn't understand why i didn't have American style documents.

I contacted the Director and explained the problem and overnight he sorted it out.

Keep all your communications with the HR person upbeat and positive as they will be important to you once you are at the school.
educator

Post by educator »

Agree with ''Grasshopper'' - first & foremost keep everything absolutely chirpy with the HR person. Usually they are the face of private enterprise (your future school) interacting with a ponderous bureaucratic system & must personally front whatever government departments are involved, hence the HR's need to adhere to all the stipulations. The HR will probably be a local with far more clout in that situation than most directors. Suggest that you get the letter, have it notarized by your embassy and / or department of foreign affairs (the more stamps & stickers the better, in Asia red ink is always preferable & a wax seal if at all possible - it will look impressive on the bureaucrat?s desk whilst they ponder your fate) & send it off / take it with you. Usually once you're 'there', it will all mysteriously fall into place. Having your airfare paid to your home because your paperwork ?failed? and is the least likely scenario. Just curious; which country?
botox

Years Experience and Work Permits

Post by botox »

I know that Egypt requires 3 years of experience for a work permit. The alternative is to come into the country on a tourist visa, which costs $15 dollars at the airport, and go to work. Upon leaving the country for the summer, you will have to pay a fine (about $100) for staying longer than the 90 day tourist visa allows. You will get your third year in. The school can then write you a letter and get you a work permit before entering the country for the following year. I am going through this because the school I am at did not get me a work permit! Are you in Egypt? If so, this should work.