The most professional way to begin the new "hunt."

samuraiwriter

The most professional way to begin the new "hunt."

Post by samuraiwriter »

Calling on all of you seasoned vets and administrators:

My contract will be finished at the end of the next school year and I'll be moving on from my current employer. I am slated to attend UNI (awaiting packet, hotel reservation at Ramada already secured) and want to begin the reference gathering, paperwork, school "hunt" early in the year so as to not be so stressed out in Dec. and Jan.

What is the most professional way to approach this with my current HOD, Director, etc... Would asking too early (let's say around mid-October) be a foot shot? I have a pretty good relationship with my Director, excellent with my HOD and other figures. I want to do this the right way; I don't want to seem ungrateful or like I am not focused on the task at hand, teaching. It has been an enlightnening time, some ups, some downs, but I learned a lot.

Any advice on how to do this well?
This my first experience finding int'l work while int'l. Scary stuff.

Thanks,
SW
scribe

moving on...

Post by scribe »

Not sure why you would inform your current school director/head as early as October you were leaving - you know this person, would it affect the way s/he treats you? I believe no agency - Iowa nor ISS nor Search - requires letters of recommendation this early. Why not wait to ask for your letter until say November, around the time the school will probably ask you if you plan to return. You can still fill in all the other paperwork earlier and start contacting prospective schools.
You don't mention where you are in terms of contract - fulfilling a one year, two year, or more - is there any development that would make you reconsider staying at your current position? If so, you might not want to announce intentions to leave too early. I have several friends at a school who were sure they would leave this year, then the resigning bonus and salary were significantly augmented and voila, they signed on to stay- no problem!
It always seems best to leave your options open in this business and not burn any bridges.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Your timing should be determined by when you need references. Make sure they know your plans before an agency or another school contacts them. It would be very difficult if they find out 2nd hand without teachers having the courtesy to tell them first. Just say you are thinking about moving on and want to check out other options.

IF (emphasis on IF) you have a good relationships with them and IF they are professionals, then tell them early and they will appreciate it. International schools have high turnover and good administrators understand this - the earlier they know about staffing the better.

Good administators will also help with your job search. So flatter them; ask for their expert advice on how to write an application letter and update your CV - this makes them feel good and makes you much more comfortable in discussing your departure

good luck
samuraiwriter

Post by samuraiwriter »

Thank you so much for your helpful advice.

My school does not talk with int'l teachers about the future until around January of their last contract yr. At least it has been this way in the past. So I am stuck going in "cold" if I want to make the UNI deadline. I wish they would bring us in at the end of our first yr. of a two yr. contract to see how we are feeling, plans for the future etc... but they don't seem too interested. My school doesn't even have a calender to give staff/parents yet, and our school year ends next week!

I hope they are professional, but I have some nervousness, which is why I posted here.

Keep the advice coming! It is good to here from you in this matter.

SW