Oman Work Visas after 60

sand_fan

Oman Work Visas after 60

Post by sand_fan »

Hoping someone with actual knowledge can shed some light on the reality of hitting 60 in Oman. Law seems to say no visas after 60, but doesn't specifically address renewals, at least that I can find. Is Oman a place where renewals can happen past 60 as long as the first one was done prior to 60?
heyteach

Re: Oman Work Visas after 60

Post by heyteach »

There were a number of people over 60 at my school there. One was required to retire when she hit 70; her husband was slightly younger so they are staying 'til he has to retire as well. They had been there 10 years already.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You can renew in Oman past 60, if your school has some pull, some cant and really dont want to invest in the relationship to make it happen. Many schools in Oman would just rather let you go and hire someone who doesnt know any better who wont be as much work. It is possible though.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Schools that will be hiring a western ex-pat are quite willing to "invest" in a good teacher to keep them there; after all, it's someone familiar with the school, the students, the curriculum, and the local culture. They do not have to have any special pull. Getting a visa renewed after 60 should not be an issue.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

No they arent, all those factors mean little value to a school, especially in the ME. Pull helps, and it helps a lot.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Given your history of doing runners, and your oh-so-brief tenure in the Middle East (six weeks, was it? and more than likely was not Oman), you are hardly qualified to provide the OP with "actual knowledge."
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@heyteach

Ive done one runner (maybe 2), and it was the Kingdom, and it was 6 weeks, and I have been to Oman and what all of that and your comment have in common is that neither makes me more or less qualified to have a credible opinion based on actual knowledge. I do not need a juris degree or be an MP to know how the visa system works. There are schools with negative pull that cant get visas and work permits for teachers who actually meet all the requirements.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Reply

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @heyteach
>
> Ive done one runner (maybe 2), and it was the Kingdom, and it was 6 weeks,
> and I have been to Oman and what all of that and your comment have in
> common is that neither makes me more or less qualified to have a credible
> opinion based on actual knowledge. I do not need a juris degree or be an MP
> to know how the visa system works. There are schools with negative pull
> that cant get visas and work permits for teachers who actually meet all the
> requirements.

Don't forget that time you walked (er...ran) like an Egyptian. LOL.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Yes, in a previous incarnation on the forum he claimed to have been in Cairo. He's having a Brian Williams/Bill Reilly/Robert McDonald moment.

Wondering how he'll spin this. I think I can guess.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123

Thats why I wrote maybe two, the position in Egypt was so bad, I consider it less a runner and more a breach of contract based on material misrepresentation by the school.