Deleted

lunarium

Deleted

Post by lunarium »

deleted
Last edited by lunarium on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not a school thats why there is no data. Its a local daycare, thats marketing to more affluent clients. There is nothing international about it except they hire Anglos.
lunarium

Re: Magic Years International Kindergarten (Thailand)

Post by lunarium »

Last edited by lunarium on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

They couldn't possibly be using the IB because that would mean that Psyguy was umm...not the most right he's ever been.

On the off chance that they are using the IB and would pay to send you for training, it could have some advantage to teaching there (or baby-sitting, or whatever they actually do).

Edit: Oh my. They are apparently an ACTUAL IB world school. Definitely worth a look.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123

Many domestic schools use the IB curriculum and program, that doesnt make a school an IS, no more than inserting "International" in a schools name makes it international.

They would have to train, all PYP teachers are required to be trained to level one MTPYPH, and the schools coming up on reauthorization.

@lunarium

There are plenty of domestic schools that use the IB curriculum, that doesnt make them ISs. This is a Thai kinder daycare.

Would it be good/bad, well that depends on a number of factors. If you were a new, young EC and only EC teacher, and wanted IB experience, there arent too many PYP exclusive EC programs on the circuit. You would get PYP trained, and youd have PYP experience but youd be missing a lot.
It wasnt until recently that the IBO changed the definition of "world school" in the past it meant you offered PYP, MYP, and DIP. Now it means any school fully authorized to provide any part of the IB program, it really diluted the name and brand, but there were also a lot of K-12 schools that added MYP solely to call themselves world schools.
There would certainly be some advantages too offering a restricted PYP program. You dont have to worry about exhibition, and your portfolio continuity is not an issue unless students go on to another PYP school and in this setting they likely wont, so you can phone portfolio in. There would also be some advantages and and disadvantages to thematic UIs. One of the biggest issues is going to be that PYP emphasizes a lot of expression, youd have to have a well thought out and planed curriculum to capture that expression in an authentic form, since your students arent at the production stage of literacy. Lots of art for static representations and a lot of multi media.

The other more significant issue is that this again isnt an international anything, its a Thai kinder and daycare for Thais and its operated and managed as a Thai school. You arent going to get much of a compensation package. For many western ITs thats not something to be too excited to jump into unless thats your thing. They have a bout 2 years until their next authorization, so taking the job means youll be contributing to the schools authorization efforts, which would likely entail a lot of additional work your not going to likely be prepared for since your first year in PYP is really a training year.

If you were a primary grade teacher my reflex is too pas and look for a real PYP experience. If your an EC teacher and thats all you do, you could spend a long time looking for an exclusive EC PYP program.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

They are one of only like, 7 schools, authorized to offer the PYP in Thailand (not applying for, thinking about it, doing PYPish things, etc). I have no idea what they actually do but that has to count for something to elevate them over the hundreds of "daycare" programs in the country. Otherwise you are due for another dose of magic IB koolaid.

Just saying, maybe do some recon before you yell pull and open fire from the hip.
lunarium

Post by lunarium »

Last edited by lunarium on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
vandsmith

Re: Reply

Post by vandsmith »

PsyGuy wrote:

> There would certainly be some advantages too offering a restricted PYP
> program. You dont have to worry about exhibition, and your portfolio
> continuity is not an issue unless students go on to another PYP school and
> in this setting they likely wont, so you can phone portfolio in.

PsyGuy - could a school even opt out of the exhibition? wouldn't you still have to do the portfolio to assuage and meet the PYP, even if there wasn't a PYP->MYP continuation?

i mean, in terms of PYP, the exhibition is the culmination of everything before it. how could a school get around that? just do it in years when accreditation is up?

curious.

v.
PsyGuy

Disucssion

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123

I did - before shooting from the hip. I know there are 7 authorized PYP schools in Thailand. I just reject the notion the premise that lack of popularity or accessibility of a specific program, confers value or utility. 70, or 700, or 1 would not change the quality of the school or its program. This is the ownership model, a single criterion (we have IB) does not make a school an IS.

On what basis or premise "must" it elevate them above the other EC program in Thailand and the region. Can a school buy its way into the IS circuit by flashing an IB card (authorization letter)? Does offering IGCSEs really make a school international or is it just a term to differentiate those outside and those inside the UK completing a GCSE (IGCSEs are actually a popular and common program within the UK as well). If the AP came up with an international (IAP) program would it confer international status to those schools that implemented it?

My position is no, they dont.

@vandsmith

A PYP program cant opt out of exhibition. In the past candidate schools were not required to do exhibition or project, but that recently changed. You must do portfolio regardless of what years in a program you offer.

Exhibition is required in year 5/6 (for schools that have 6 year primary programs). A limited program in this case or a primary school that only went to year 3 (lower primary) would not have to do exhibition. Exhibition isnt about meeting a checklist for authorization, its about providing meaningful reflection on student development transitional and developmental points in a students growth. Exhibition in a single year EC program is not appropriate to that goal.

You have to do exhibition, you have to do portfolio. Authorization teams look at the program holistically, but realities of student movement and the resources available to inspection members are limited. Students can and do take their portfolios when leaving one schools. Schools try to copy them or archive representations of them, but an inspection team doesnt have the time or resources to visually inspect every single portfolio, especially at a large school. Inspection team members though are going to look for meaningful evidence of exhibition in what the school does present and provide. They cant say we dont have it or give them some lite and flimsy documentation.
That said, there are schools that cut corners, cheat, and lie and the exhibition experience is a subjective definition in regards to how much is or isnt meeting the exhibition requirement of the program. The easiest way is to only provide exhibition evidence the year of authorization and claim previous departing students took it with them. In such cases schools have provided releases from parents etc to document this, but many parents really dont know what exhibition is, especially if the student didnt do it to begin with, and as far as the parent is concerned they are just signing another school form.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i see. i just missed the post where it said the school was a k-3 school. i'm a pyp teacher in a school without an myp, but a IBD program in high school. so when you wrote that, something seemed off...
my bad. i'll read more carefully next time.

v.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @wrldtrvlr123
>
> I did - before shooting from the hip. I know there are 7 authorized PYP schools in
> Thailand. I just reject the notion the premise that lack of popularity or accessibility
> of a specific program, confers value or utility. 70, or 700, or 1 would not change
> the quality of the school or its program. This is the ownership model, a single
> criterion (we have IB) does not make a school an IS.
>
==============================

So, being authorized to offer the PYP doesn't set it apart from any of the hundreds of "schools" that actually are just daycare for rich locals? Love watching your mental and verbal gymnastics to avoid backing off (even an inch). Especially since you obviously weren't even aware they did PYP when you posted your first dismissive response.
regalia

Post by regalia »

I worked at Magic Years, and it is an amazing school. Very international, and most of the kids go on to ISB as it's in the same neighborhood. They are committed to the PYP and you will get training, and you will learn a lot. The package is adequate and the atmosphere is good. I would recommend it highly.
Feel free to email me at ringomano74 at gmail dot com if you want more specifics.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@vandsmith

They arent even a year 1-3 school they are just a kinder/foundation school.

@wrldtrvlr123

I didnt know they were a PYP school, and it still changes nothing. There are plenty of bad IB schools with PYP, having IB/PYP doesnt dictate or infer superiority of a school. It changes nothing about the school.

@regalia

You sound like an admin or admin cheerleader who joined conveniently to post a positive comment about the school. Everyone says they are committed to the IB. It is not an amazing school, and he package is pretty low.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

> @wrldtrvlr123
>
> I didnt know they were a PYP school, and it still changes nothing. There are plenty
> of bad IB schools with PYP, having IB/PYP doesnt dictate or infer superiority of
> a school. It changes nothing about the school.
>
-----------------------
LMFAO. Now you can't even keep your story straight. If you did any recon or actually knew anything about the school before proclaiming it a daycare, then you would have at least known they offered PYP. Since you admit that you didn't, then you must have just read the name and felt safe in making a judgement about it. You have a problem.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@wrldtrvlr123

No, the PYP program serves students as young as 3 years of age which includes EC at both PK-K, Foundation, and Nursery. That still makes it a day care.