Halloween as an Indicator

PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

My conclusion is that the Reisgio Effect is confirmed.
lemonlily

Re: Halloween as an Indicator

Post by lemonlily »

I'm curious to know what question you are asking in interviews to slyly pull information about this....I can't imagine saying.."And how do you celebrate Halloween?" haha
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@lemonlily

Why not? The Reisgio Effect is one of my standard interview questions in my reportire now "How do you celebrate in school Holidays?".
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

Of course it is confirmed. It was discovered by a genius. Now, what about my next theorem? How about, "What conclusions can be drawn from an American International School that is opened for Thanksgiving and does not have any special programming for Thanksgiving?"
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@reisgio

That would still be a Reisgio Effect, the seminal observation of Halloween is simply an exemplar of the entire theory, which is that in summary; "what is typically observed as unrelated factors and phenomena that are valid and reliable predictors of IS quality". If there was a finding that the younger and more attractive an ISs secretaries the more inexperienced the leadership, that would still be a Reisgio Effect.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

or perhaps an over-emphasis on footwear and appearance of teachers whilst leaving any and all curriculum questions unanswered?

v.
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

Every year this theorem is proved more and more accurate.

https://www.iss.edu/blog/halloween-2019
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Scary isnt it; @reisgio needs to write and publish a white paper on the phenomenon. Really get into the data and the ana1ysis. What portion of predictive and explanatory quality IS variance can be attributed to the Reisgio effect? Is is symptomatic, correlative or causal? Just how significant is it, is it strong enough that you can toss out curriculum, endowment, student body demographics, PD, leadership, staffing experience and performance, ownership, business categorization (profit vs. non-profit)? Does the significance rise to the level of practical significance?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Possibly, but only if you confine it to prominence on the school's formal website (as opposed to entries on a Facebook page, community events, local news, etc.). A simple web search would show that many good to great schools celebrate/allow students to celebrate Halloween to a greater or lesser degree (e.g. ASIJ, WABeijing, Singapore American School, HKIS, ASLondon, etc.).

If you're happy with a predictive tool that would allow you to miss out on those schools (and similar) because they have the odd Halloween activity/parade then I guess that's your prerogative.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Coming from N.America, I have no issue with Halloween. With all due respect, don't get me wrong, but, my only problem is when administrators go overboard with fine arts and sports and royally ignore academics. Hits me in the gut when these folks even go on to say that math teachers should learn from football coaches. Have no clue what goes on in their heads.
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

This is hilarious, glad someone resurrected it so I could enjoy. Feel like my world has definitely shifted a few degrees..
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@WT123

Absolutely I agree, you want the attention and focus to be on the IS and how they treat (or trick) in IS holidays not the parents, th community etc. but that wouldnt be difficult to do, and the Reisgio effect has done so to date.

@fine dude

Its even more interesting when you look at where those leadership started out in edu. Lot more PHE ITs who become leaders than maths ITs.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @WT123
>
> Absolutely I agree, you want the attention and focus to be on the IS and how they
> treat (or trick) in IS holidays not the parents, th community etc. but that wouldnt
> be difficult to do, and the Reisgio effect has done so to date.
==============
Well, all of those schools (and more) I mentioned do have Halloween parades or similar events, at/during school, etc. They just don't necessarily make a big deal about it on their main school website.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

So ALL my schools have celebrated Halloween, but it is never a big thing on web sites or in advertising. That's what I would look for - celebrate without the need to publicize.
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

I imagine the results would have to be biased against US curriculum schools then, since those are the ones more likely to celebrate? Wonder how to calibrate this into the data.. a school I just looked at, widely regarded as one of the top, if not the top, IS in Asia, has trick-or treating on their yearly calendar, just saying