Paid Summer Holidays?

Brita

Paid Summer Holidays?

Post by Brita »

Do International schools provide paid summer vacation for the teachers?
specialed

Post by specialed »

As far as I know you are usually on a 12 month or 24 month contract, with Winter Break, Summer Break included. Kinda like public school and their 12 month contract.
Brita

Post by Brita »

A british international school has just offered me a contract for 10 months only. Not sure what that means. Shoud I negotiate?
beenthere

Post by beenthere »

What is more important than the length of the contract is how much you are paid. A longer contract doesn't necessarily ensure more money! It might just mean less money per month but stretched over an additional 2 months. It has been my experience that schools will pay you over 10 months and you need to save for the summer. Some are different but that has been my experience.

You need to make sure that you have a contract over the summer because that will affect your health insurance. You don't want to have to be paying that. If you don't sign an initial two year contract, make sure you sign your second year's contract before you leave on summer holiday. That will ensure, I hope, that you will have insurance.