which one would you choose?

vandsmith

which one would you choose?

Post by vandsmith »

my wife and i have narrowed it down to 2 schools we really like - one in singapore the other in moscow (CIS vs. AAS)

looking for advice...can you name some pros and cons for each? thanks in advance.

v.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: which one would you choose?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Well, I am presuming that when you say you have narrowed it down, that these schools have made you offers (otherwise it seems kind of pointless to weigh the pros and cons of only, 2 schools).

From my understanding (based on mainly 2nd information of reviews, past forum postings and friends of friends, FWIW), then Singapore would be by far the easier posting and more enjoyable place to live for most people (unless you are just not a tropical climate person): More pleasant, better travel opportunities, more goods available etc. Both places would be very expensive to live.

You don't say which CIS in Singapore (there are apparently 3). None of them get particularly great reviews, but the Canadian flavor seems a decent to good place to work. None of them sound like horror shows that will get you there and then dump you, not pay you etc.

AAS has a mixed reputation. Very old and well established school but not well run and/or heavy work load, and/or having had Director's with very mixed reputations. AAS would seem to be the much better school to have on your CV and would serve you much better when you go to move to your next school. Moscow seems to be a very interesting and possibly frustrating/depressing place to live. There are also the political and financial headlines surrounding Russia right now which probably would not drastically affect you but are worth pondering.

Singapore would be a very nice place to live but much would depend on the package you were on. AAS would seem to offer a package that would allow you to live nicely, travel and save some. You would need to really evaluate the package from your CIS and see what quality of life there would be. Singapore can be great but if you are having to eat street food, live in a not great place and have little money to travel, then it could also be frustrating/depressing (but at least you would have the sunshine).

Just my two cents worth. Hopefully someone will come along with more current/first hand info.
senator

Post by senator »

Screw Moscow!

Cold weather, cold people, just plain COOOOOOOLD! (There is a reason why the Russians, so many times, never minded retreating and letting the enemy take Moscow). Oh, yeah, let's not forget crime and Vladimir Putin.

Singapore is a GREAT place with great people. Fresh food, delicious food, and WARM. Shorts and T-shirts vs. parkas and boots. Enough said?

Hell, the money you'll save in not having to ship warm clothes is reason enough.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I read a little while ago that the Russian government was threatening to seize US-owned assets, in retaliation to the sanctions the US has put in place. This might be an idle threat, or it could happen all of a sudden.

Furthermore, If the price of oil stays down, Russia is going to spiral downwards into greater chaos, pain and desperation. Selling oil is how they make money, and with the price of oil cut in half, it's kind of like they just took a 50% pay cut! I wouldn't touch Russia with a ten foot poll.

On the other hand, Singapore is one of the most desirable places to live on Earth.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

thanks for the replies. anyone else have an opinion?

the economic situation in russia is certainly troubling, especially the fear about potential asset freezing/liquidation a la cyprus. it's a hard decision for us. both packages are good, and we really like both of the schools. we would get paid more in singapore but the savings vs. salary is better in russia.

thanks again everyone.

v.
Route66

Post by Route66 »

I do not know much about those schools in particular... but I know Singapore's reputation for education is miles ahead of Russia's.
reisgio

Post by reisgio »

Let me just take the side of Russia since it is clear that people who post on this site have a clear bias towards all things Asia.

Russia is the most highly educated country in the world: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-I ... rld/Russia

Russia has a rich and storied history.

Singapore is the hot thing these days, as many other Asian countries are, but these are not Western countries in the traditional sense; therefore, if you want to be closer to the West, Russia can claim to be part of both the West and the East.

Many of these Asian countries have hyper competitive students who would slit your throat and cheat on the SAT just to get into an Ivy League school.

Moscow would allow for more European travel on short breaks. Singapore would allow for visiting many Asian regions that for someone who may be more of a fan of Western history/tradition may be more boring.

Weather is not everything.

Route66 says that Singapore has a reputation for education that is miles ahead of Russia's. I dispute this in every way. Just because there have been a crop of international schools built in the last thirty years does not equate to being miles ahead of Russia in education. Everyone here needs to get a grip. People on here are trying to constantly compare schools in different countries and with different populations. It's a fool's errand. It's like saying that Northeastern University is tier one and GW University is tier two. They both are overpriced and have their warts. Check your egos and supposed tiers. Go for the right fit for you and your family.

I would want to know what currency I am being paid in at the Russia school. If ruble, that could be a big problem if no carve out exists for vast currency devaluation. Go with your gut, not with what others will think.