Advice for getting started with international schools

tcatsninfan

Advice for getting started with international schools

Post by tcatsninfan »

Hello all,

I wondered if you could help me understand the international school market a little better and, more specifically, the most economical way for me to break into it. First, my background:

--30 year old American male
--Bachelor's degree in English
--CELTA certification
--1 year of teaching ESL in South Korea, and will be renewing for a second year in 2015

I don't necessarily want to teach ESL at an international school, although I know those jobs exist and wouldn't be out of the question. But ideally I'd like to give myself more opportunities. I don't think I'd be good at teaching math or science, unfortunately, but English (as a subject) or history are definite possibilities.

I realize I'm missing a few important things: a master's degree, teaching certification, and teaching experience in a non-ESL environment.

I have a lot of "desk warming" time at work right now, so ideally I'd like to use it toward progressing my career. I've found a program called TeacherReady that I could do online that would certify me to be a teacher in Florida, but (as I understand it) you have to observe a classroom in person and do some practical teaching by the end of it, which wouldn't work for me because I live too far from the international schools here.

How would international schools feel about an online master's degree in TESOL? I don't want to get a master's degree back in the US because of the insane cost of higher education and the 2 years I'd spend being a student again. I have some friends who are currently getting their MA TESOL online through a respected university in England. It isn't cheap but it's a fraction of what I'd pay in the US. Should I spend the money to get the MA, or do international schools not care about it that much and thus it would be better to just save the money?

Assuming I get my teaching certification later and potentially get the MA in my spare time, what would be my chances of finding a job without 2 years of teaching experience in the US? I don't want to put my "overseas life" on hold for 2 years while I go back home and teach for 2 years simply so that I can get the experience to leave the country again. I'd rather just stay overseas and transition from teaching ESL to teaching a specific subject to international students.

Thanks very much in advance for your advice and information!
julierob25

Re: Advice for getting started with international schools

Post by julierob25 »

Hi! There is an International School in the Balkans that hires uncertified teachers. There is a teacher there now who is going through the TeacherReady program to get his certification. PM me and I will give you more details.
marieh

Post by marieh »

>>>How would international schools feel about an online master's degree in TESOL?
Not good. International schools want you to have a state teaching license. The TeacherReady program is a good way to do this while still working overseas. I'm not entirely sure, but I seem to recall that some of my friends in Korea did the student teaching portion of the program while working at a public school there. If you are set on renewing your contract, you might want to look into that.

>>>Should I spend the money to get the MA, or do international schools not care about it that much and thus it would be better to just save the money?
If it was an MAT or M.Ed that resulted in a teaching license, I would say go for it. However, your priority at the moment should be getting a state certification.

>>>Assuming I get my teaching certification later and potentially get the MA in my spare time, what would be my chances of finding a job without 2 years of teaching experience in the US?
Low to High, depending on your endorsements and the countries you're looking into. Math and science jobs are always available, but as a new teacher (no, your Korean experience won't count for much) you're going to have to keep an open mind when it comes to where you apply. Don't make the mistake of telling yourself that you'll only work in Europe or Thailand your first year.
munybse

Post by munybse »

I would highly recommend looking into the Teacher Ready program further. If you were wanting to stay in Korea perhaps moving to a hagwon and then doing your student teaching at an international school there would be beneficial. I just finished the program and I am waiting on the state to finish my paper work. I know hagwons there can be looked upon in bad light many times but I was there for three years at one and loved it. If you have any questions about the program, I'd be happy to help.
tcatsninfan

Post by tcatsninfan »

@munybse

I've already signed my renewal paperwork to work at a public school again next year. I read somewhere that the Teacher Ready program takes about 9 months...when exactly does the observations and practicum come into play? My grandparents live in Florida, so what I'm wondering is whether I could start with the online component of TR toward the end of my contract, then move to Florida for a few months to do the observations, practicum, and state tests.

I'm not opposed to hagwons, and Korea isn't a bad place to live overall, so I could potentially stay a 3rd year and switch to hagwons then. I was hoping I'd be able to do something productive during my free time next year, but maybe that just isn't in the cards.

Also, am I correct in my understanding that the state exams for Florida have to be taken in the U.S.? Did you fly home to do that? I read somewhere that it was possible to take them on military bases overseas, but then someone else posted and said you had to be active military personnel, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks for your information about TR. I haven't spoken to anyone personally who has gone through it, so this is helpful.
munybse

Post by munybse »

Yes if you aren't military personnel then you will have to fly home and take the tests. There are three and you have I think a year after you finish the program to take them but the sooner you do it the sooner you get certified. The program is 9 months. I started in Feb and ended in Nov - during the summer there was a big project to do and then some down time.

As for actually going to a school I don't know if you could do the book work and then come home and do the practical experience because a lot of the work you do is based on what happens in class. You could though push it to say the last few months of the program and cram it all in. I think a lot of people did that. If you contact the people at the program they can get you in contact with someone who did the course while in Korea. I actually moved home to do the program.