Is this a good package for Tokyo?

beachbride

Is this a good package for Tokyo?

Post by beachbride »

Hi, all!

I'm hoping some who are familiar with the cost of living and international school expectations in Tokyo will be willing to give me some input. I have been offered a package at an IB school in Tokyo. However, with it still being quite early in the recruiting season, I'm not sure whether it is competitive enough to take, or if I should hold out to see what other offers come my way.

I am currently in my tenth year teaching with experience both internationally and in the US. I have my masters in educational leadership and have experience as a language arts coordinator/department head and as a technology integration coach, as well as experience teaching multiple subjects in grades 2-10.

I've been offered 490,000 jpy per month (before taxes) with 100,000 jpy per month housing allowance for an MYP position. I would also receive 500,000 jpy as a one-time housing establishment allowance and a 250,000 jpy relocation allowance. In addition, I would receive up to a 15,000 jpy allowance each month for transportation.

I will have my husband with me as a trailing spouse. The package does not include flights, etc. for my husband. However, they will take care of his visa.

Thoughts? Would this be a package in which we could live comfortably and still save a bit as well? From what I've gathered online, it seems like an "average" package...but I would love to hear from some who have firsthand experience!

Thanks in advance!
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Is this a good package for Tokyo?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. My personal insights on the cost of living in/near Tokyo are a few years old. That being said, I would characterize the offer as good but not great.

This recent thread had some further information.

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... f=1&t=4698

Basically ASIJ is the best with around 7 million yen a year plus, housing allowance that covers most if not all of the costs. Everyone else will be lower within a fairly wide range (with that recent poster getting 4 million yen a year with no housing as an experienced but uncertified teacher in Tokyo). I would be interested to hear from someone with Search or other database access for a more recent snapshot of the situation in Japan.

As for the offer itself, I would research what the allowance will get you these days in nice housing within a reasonable commute of the school. If you will not be out of pocket much on rent every month, you should be fine should you take the offer. The no airfare for your 1 dependent is a bit cheap and to my knowledge unusual for a quality school but more of an annoyance than a deal breaker.

Ultimately I think it comes down to how keen are you to land an MYP position IN Japan? If quite keen on the country and/or the position, I would give it serious consideration. If you honestly feel you have an excellent chance at a better school/position and/or have no great affinity for Japan, then maybe you wait.

For what it's worth, we are currently in Europe in a very desirable location on a great package and would still jump at the chance to get back to Tokyo at a good school. Good luck! Feel free to PM if you want slightly dated feedback on the specific school.
beachbride

Post by beachbride »

Thanks so much for your insights, wrldtrvlr123!

From what I can gather via online research, it looks like the allowance would cover about 2/3 of our rent, if we stick with a fairly small place (we are used to small as we are currently in Bangkok). We would then have to cover utilities.

I am not specifically keen on Japan, although I have heard wonderful things about it! I have applied to schools throughout Asia and Europe and am open to many locations. I was hoping to get a position in a bit more of a leadership role (instructional coach, technology integration coach, curriculum coordinator, etc.). However, I have loved my time teaching middle school and while I have two IB leadership certificates, I do not yet have hands-on MYP experience. This position could give me that experience.

I took you up on your offer and sent you a PM. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Decisions are tough.
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

beachbride wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I'm hoping some who are familiar with the cost of living and international
> school expectations in Tokyo will be willing to give me some input. I have
> been offered a package at an IB school in Tokyo. However, with it still
> being quite early in the recruiting season, I'm not sure whether it is
> competitive enough to take, or if I should hold out to see what other
> offers come my way.
>
> I am currently in my tenth year teaching with experience both
> internationally and in the US. I have my masters in educational leadership
> and have experience as a language arts coordinator/department head and as a
> technology integration coach, as well as experience teaching multiple
> subjects in grades 2-10.
>
> I've been offered 490,000 jpy per month (before taxes) with 100,000 jpy per
> month housing allowance for an MYP position. I would also receive 500,000
> jpy as a one-time housing establishment allowance and a 250,000 jpy
> relocation allowance. In addition, I would receive up to a 15,000 jpy
> allowance each month for transportation.
>
> I will have my husband with me as a trailing spouse. The package does not
> include flights, etc. for my husband. However, they will take care of his
> visa.
>
> Thoughts? Would this be a package in which we could live comfortably and
> still save a bit as well? From what I've gathered online, it seems like an
> "average" package...but I would love to hear from some who have
> firsthand experience!
>
> Thanks in advance!

The salary is reasonable, but the housing allowance won't go far. Depending on where you live, 100,000 yen a month will get you a small apartment; the closer to Tokyo you want to live, the smaller it will be for the money. The relocation allowance will cover (most of) the apartment deposit and key money (money that is paid to the landlord). Moving into an apartment is very expensive here in Japan - the apartment will come completely empty (not even lights) so you will have to buy everything.
You and your husband will be able to live comfortably, without saving much I imagine. The cost of living in Japan is expensive but of course varies depending on your lifestyle. Taxes are deceptively low in the first year, but you get hit in the second and subsequent years (about 20-25% of your salary).
If your husband has the right visa and a college degree (in anything) he will be able to pick up work teaching English (full time or part time) to supplement your income.
beachbride

Post by beachbride »

Thanks so much for your reply, Rhysboy! I really appreciate it!

That is good to know regarding the English teaching opportunities for my husband. He has a Bachelor's degree, so we would definitely use that opportunity to make some supplemental income.

I have heard that teaching in Japan can be a great asset to have on my CV as well. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, though?

I guess my big internal debate is whether to take this position or hold out for better. It's such a tough decision. I can see how either choice could lead to regret come January.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

In my time on the circuit and from friends who have taught in Japan, I have never heard that teaching in Japan is a great asset to have on a CV. That said, depending on the school, it COULD be a great asset. Other schools, not so much.

Just my 2 cents.

shad

Good luck on your decision, though.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

There is always great and weak schools in every country and Japan is no exception. If this offer is from one of the top 3 (ASIJ, YIS, or St. Mary's) in Tokyo, go for it. They would certainly look great on your CV.
beachbride

Post by beachbride »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Shadowjack and Fine Dude! I decided to decline the position. I felt with it being so early in the season still that I should wait since it was not a top choice school or position for me. It was tough since there was nothing particularly bad about the offer; it just wasn't great, either.

Thanks again for everyone's input!
Spawnboy99

Post by Spawnboy99 »

You can email privately if you want just from what you are saying can tell you about the school from first hand experience