May I?

10/6

May I?

Post by 10/6 »

I am not sure of the protocols on the ISR site. Is it permissable for me to write about a school if I have not been there yet?

I signed a contract with a school in March. On the strength of that, I have resigned from my present post. Now the school has written to say they are not going to employ me after all. So the contract was worthless.

I want to warn others so that they are not "caught" in the same trap. Obviously I would not be able to rate the school on the one to ten scale, but I could relate my experience to prevent this happening to others.

Any advice is welcome.
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

Definately, name and shame. You are probably not the only one that has experienced this from this institution. Wouldn't you have been thankful if someone had told you before you signed.

Having said that, some schools will do this if they have reason to believe you were untruthful in your application or your credentials haven't been authentic.

So, what was their excuse?
10/6

May I?

Post by 10/6 »

The e-mail message said that they had decided not to offer music at the school next year, for financial reasons. It is odd because their website says they offer it. They also asked me to send them a list of educational resources for music and drama (which I willingly did).

I certainly have been truthful with them and have done nothing to cause them to no longer wish to employ me. My qualifications and certification as a teacher would check out as do my references from previous employers. I am at a loss to understand what is going on.
guest5

Schools backing out of contracts

Post by guest5 »

By all means, post the name of the school so that others don't find themselves in the same predicament. Also, if you went through a job fair or agency, let them know. If I teacher breaks contract after signing, they will be blackballed...if a school does it, they shouldn't be allowed to recruit at that fair again.
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

Unfortunately it is probably all too true that the school isn't offering Music. My own experiences as a Music teacher in the states support that premise. I would report the school, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time fretting over their dishonesty. There are too many schools out there who have the resources, the commitment, and the wisdom to offer a Music program. I would start finding one.

But please, read the ISR reviews before signing another contract and listen to them. I read the reviews for my former school, but I didn't think it was possible for a school to be that bad, so even though I had misgivings, I signed with them. I was wrong. It is possible. I truly don't think it would be going to far to characterize some of the administrators at my former school as evil.

I wouldn't read too much into Music still being on the website. It is also an unfortunate truth that websites don't get updated as much as they should.
educator

Post by educator »

Most (i.e.99%) of international schools are businesses, even if they claim to be 'not for profit' or words to that effect. The simple fact is that they are all private enterprises. Approach them as you would approach purchasing a new or second hand car. Few people would buy a car based on a chat with a salesman in a hotel room. Ideally you need to see the vehicle, test drive it and do some research on reviews for that vehicle. At least talk to some people who've driven the same model car. Yet many teachers do precisely the equivalent of purchasing a vehicle based solely on it's name. They sign away two years of their life based on a chat in a hotel room or office. What suits some, is anathema to others - this applies to geography as well. Many schools are honest & last minute changes to their staffing needs are results of circumstances beyond their control - falling enrollments etc. But any school with wildly fluctuating staffing needs must be viewed with immediate caution. Unfortunately, there are schools which are simply flagrant money making ventures. Usually, teachers are last on the list of considerations. Sites like this represent at least some attempt to make information available. Forewarned is forearmed.
10/6

May I

Post by 10/6 »

Thank you for all the sound advice and observations.

I am sad to say that this school does not have any reviews on ISR, which is why I had no way of knowing that they would renege on their contract. Although I am disappointed, I suppose in a way I am fortunate that I did not go there.

I am therefore posting the name so that others may be wary:
Future Bilingual School, Kuwait
miski

Re: May I

Post by miski »

[quote="10/6"]Thank you for all the sound advice and observations.

I am sad to say that this school does not have any reviews on ISR, which is why I had no way of knowing that they would renege on their contract. Although I am disappointed, I suppose in a way I am fortunate that I did not go there.

I am therefore posting the name so that others may be wary:
Future Bilingual School, Kuwait[/quote]

LOL : stay away from Future bilingual!!! The principal that was/ is isn't actually employed by the school but is doing some dodgy employed by another sponsor and salary paid into another account thing. They have teachers who can't spell, and a young teacher (UK) who hasn't even got past High School never mind getting a teaching qualification. The kids aren't given any books to write in and all work is done on paper. No work goes home. The building is lovely , although because of the catchment area (Fahaheel) you get all the bedu and their kids. KG bys a nightmare- standing on tables, throwing pencils, no toys at all to speak of to play with.Basically it is a school opened up by Al Dabbous ( who owns Fahaheel) to ut his kids and family in and pass them through until they get to uni. I know it sounds ridiculous but people here actually have the money to do that-and if you are only paying your Egyptian PE teacher 100KD($300) a month, well you can afford to do anything!!!