More Teachers than Jobs or the Other Way Around?

markholmes

More Teachers than Jobs or the Other Way Around?

Post by markholmes »

I've read a couple of comments on here that seem to suggest that maybe there are not enough teachers available to international schools. Other posts indicate that it's about equal (there are the right number of teachers to fill openings). Would anybody care to comment?

Also, I assume that schools in certain parts of the world are massively over subscribed, while others find it difficult to recruit. I would like to teach in South East Asia (Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, actually nearly anywhere in SE Asia). I am assuming that most of the jobs in this area would be heavily over subscribed. It that right?
JISAlum

Probably depends on the school

Post by JISAlum »

I would think that it probably more depends on the school. SE Asia certainly has some established schools (SAS, JIS, ISKL..) that offer an incredible package.

However there are also smaller schools that might not be able to offer as much. Going from some of the reviews on this site, there are certainly SE Asian schools that might not be able to attract the number of applicants- but still might be a good fit for you.

The number of schools in SE Asia has risen over the last decade- and with it the number of positions.
anlily

Post by anlily »

Just to comment on the number of teachers versus the number of jobs. I think that it really matters what kind of teacher you are. For example, a friend in the international scene seemed to think that there were more elementary classroom teachers who are looking for jobs than there are jobs. However, that is JUST her OPINION. I have also been told that sometimes more specialty jobs or specific subject only jobs are often more common than people to fill them. However, that again may just be the opinion of those who told me, none of whom are connected with any of the major hiring agencies etc. who would probably have statistics on that.

And this is all generally speaking. As the previous poster said, the school also plays a huge role in all of this. There are schools that just attract more people than others, whether because of location, salary, benefits or whatever.
\
If you're flexible, don't have your heart set on anything 100% and have very few "non-negotiables", there are probably still jobs out there that can be found with a bit of digging.

Okay, I hope this answered your question, the brain is on vacation today, so I may have completely read the question wrong. :oops:
FatTire

Post by FatTire »

Reports of the "teacher shortage" and recruiting troubles at international schools are everywhere you look. I read an article about this in a recent issue of The International Educator. Recruiting agencies are recommending that directors be less picky (that's pretty much what the article said) and more accepting of teachers with less experience, namely IB experience, if they want to fill their vacancies. That being said, I don't feel that means I can lower my game at all. The top schools are still very competitive.