Questions about Dubai International Academy

dshubair

Questions about Dubai International Academy

Post by dshubair »

Hello, everyone. I have recently received a job offer from the Dubai International Academy to teach MYP humanities. The offer seems generous and I am generally happy with it on the surface, but there seems to be a rather critical review of the school on the ISR review board, particularly in terms of the hiring practice and in transparency about salaries. naturally, I find this a bit disconcerting.

Does anyone have any information about this school that might be helpful in making a decision on whether or no to accept the offer or about what it is like to work for this school? I know that the school is a new school and it seems to be very well resourced.

Another thing that troubles me a bit is the necessity to have to purchase/rent a car, which could cost upward of $10,000.

If you have any specific questions about the offer that was presented to me, contact me and I will be happy to share them with you, but generally the standard package has been offered (good salary, tax free, free accommodations with utilities, insurance, end of year benefits, airfare, shipping, etc.)

Many thanks!

- D
guest5

Dubai International Academy

Post by guest5 »

I don't have experience with this particular school, but do know Dubai. One important consideration would be where your housing is located in relationship to the school. Traffic is a nightmare. You would definitely want to have a car, but you won't want to spend hours every day on Sheikh Zayed Hwy. Inflation is a problem, in part because the currency is tied to the dollar, but most of their products are imported from Europe. Housing costs have also gone through the ceiling, and schools are having a difficult time keeping up with the costs. You would definitely want to make sure that your housing is provided and that you are not put on a housing allowance. Even schools which have always provided housing are looking at putting teachers on an allowance so that they don't have to worry about housing rates that are sometimes rising by 40-50%/year! (The government has implemented a rent cap, but landlords are finding ways around the law.) The lifestyle that Dubai has been known for has deteriorated considerably over the last few years, so if you think that the school isn't that great, I would be inclined to take a pass.
dshubair

Thanks

Post by dshubair »

Thanks for the input. Yes, housing and utilities are provided free of charge. They also mentioned that, should I choose, a living allowance can be managed to find something on my own...if I take this, I will steer clear of that.

From what I have, thus far, heard, it would be about a 20 minute drive to work. Apparently the housing is located very close to the school and this 20 minute drive is a result of the traffic not the distance. Both the school and the housing are located in Emirate Hills.

- Dave
dshubair

Any More Help?

Post by dshubair »

Can anyone else give a little more input on this school for me?

Cheers,

Dave