Newly Certified P.E. Teacher

bendetwile2

Newly Certified P.E. Teacher

Post by bendetwile2 »

Hello all,

I will be receiving my teaching license this coming January from the state of Florida via the Teacher Ready program. I passed all the exams and specialize in P.E. Currently, I am doing student teaching part-time at Dalian Maple Leaf International School in China. My full-time teaching position is English teaching at Dalian Maritime university. By the time the fairs come around in early 2015 I will have had more than 1 year of teaching experience (part-time) at an international school, and over four years of English teaching at the high school/university level in Thailand and China.

I am 25 years old and in great shape. Also, I am willing to put in two years at a hardship location teaching P.E. to get the necessary experience to obtain a more desirable location for the next contract. I know international schools are a business and image is crucial in order to bring in customers (students). I think my physical appearance is much better than my paper credentials to be completely honest. With that said, My plan is to go to the Bangkok fair on January 9, and then fly over to Hong Kong and go that fair the following week. My hope is that I can use my charisma and athletic build to make up for my lack of experience and in turn land a few interviews at the schools tables. What do you guys think of my plan? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I have been following this forum for awhile and respect a lot of the posters on here. Sorry if I am coming off in a negative way, I am just trying to be as realistic about the situation as I can be.

Thanks,
Ben
gibwise

Re: Newly Certified P.E. Teacher

Post by gibwise »

Hi Ben

If you are happy to stay in Asia it could be a good plan. I went to the Bangkok search fair last year and felt completely outgunned (almost everyone else had 8+ years of experience compared to my 4) but if you are truly willing to explore any possibility I expect you to be able to at least interview and get some places in the pipeline. Schools are generally more open to less experienced candidates by the time the London and Cambridge fairs come around - it may be worth considering those fairs.

For some schools your 4 years teaching English won't count as it is outside your subject area so don't be surprised when schools say you don't have enough experience.

The thing to make sure of if you get to an interview is be really clear what your strengths are that you bring to the table. Don't try and cover up areas that you know aren't perfect yet but have a plan for how you are going to work on them. Know the school even if you only get to do 30 mins of research on them.

Plan to start sending CVs in october/november. Don't panic if you don't have a job by April. If you are willing to consider anywhere there will be a job for you. Don't take the first offer you get because it is an offer, unless you know you will be happy teaching there.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Hi. Before you get too locked into this plan, you may want to query Search Associates and see if they will accept your application and are likely to give you an invite to the fair.

As for whether any schools will hire you, there are always schools that will take on relatively new teachers but as you say they are more often in less desirable locations or have some component that keeps them from being top tier schools.

Then again, you never know. Some admin could simply take a liking to you or you could strike up a conversation with someone in the hotel gym and good things happen. Start with SA though and see where you will stand.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I don't think Search or ISS will take you, TBH because they will have more PE teachers than you can shake a stick at with more experience wanting to go to Bangkok - and HK the same - but it costs nothing to email and find out!

A better option might be the UNI fair in Iowa in February. They are more open into who they take for attendees.

I would also recommend TIEonline and others recommend JoyJobs.

Good luck!
bendetwile2

Post by bendetwile2 »

Thanks for your replies everyone. I have already been accepted into Search and will submit my request to be accepted into the Bangkok and Hong Kong fairs. I appreciate the advice given to highlight strengths. What kind of schools attend UNI? Location?
sid

Post by sid »

I echo the other posts, this is likely to be harder than you have anticipated, though of course I wish you the best of luck.
First, be ready to accept that schools consider you to have 0 experience, officially. Schools generally only consider full-time, full-year, in-your-subject-area, post-certification experience. So teaching part time, doing your student teaching and teaching English do not count. Realistically, schools will at least know that you have been in a school and in front of students, so that's something, but it's not experience in the sense that would give you a required minimum, which is often needed as per school rules or national laws.
Second, your fitness is less of a thing than you might think. Schools want to know what you can do for students - can you teach all of them to serve a volleyball no matter their level of interest/awkwardness, bring them all to a better level of fitness and awareness, and can you coach the stronger ones into a winning team? I've seen enough spare-tire coaches to know that you can do that whether you're fit or not. The school's image does not rest on having a PE teacher who's nice to look at but only medium with kids. Nor is every school desperate to bring in more clients, and even if they were, a winning team would likely be a better draw. So focus on what matters, the kids.
Third, many low-tier schools place little importance on PE, and many will hire Romanian ex-gymnasts with no teaching credentials, because they're cheaper than other options (seriously, I'm not kidding, there are large numbers of them peppering the international circuit looking for work).
That all said, there are places that need or would prefer certified teachers. I presume you'll work anywhere, and work pretty cheap, at least as you're getting started, and that's in your favor. I recommend applying directly to every school you can, make it clear what you can offer to the students, and head to a late fair rather than an early one if you need to - you're more likely to get a job later in the season when schools are finishing off their hiring and the more experienced PE teachers have only been hired.
Sorry to seem negative. I call it like I see it, and believe it's best to be informed about what the market is like.
Good luck!
jakegittes

Post by jakegittes »

Most of the top brass in this business are middle-aged white men, so the odds are your looks matter a lot more if you're female.

Lower-tier and upper-tier schools are in the same business, but they have somewhat different ways of going about it. At a lower-tier school, they don't have the money for a proven teacher. They just want someone white and young who is willing to do anything for almost-free. Upper-tier schools don't care if you will draw in clients, but they stand to lose money and reputation if you fail to satisfy the demanding clients they already have, so they'll lay out a little more money for a proven teacher. (And I say a little more money, because no matter where you go in this world, there is this constant: in relation to their surroundings, teachers are always poor.)

You're young, good-looking, and you have your whole life ahead of you. I'm not sure what the international teaching circuit will give you, but it probably won't be much. You can probably find a better way to cash in on what you have.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

bendetwile2 wrote:
Thanks for your replies everyone. I have already been accepted into Search and will submit my request to be accepted into the Bangkok and Hong Kong fairs. I appreciate the advice given to highlight strengths. What kind of schools attend UNI? Location?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm happy for you but can't help find it somewhat irksome that Search has no problem accepting someone with virtually no experience (in their field, at an int'l school/English speaking public school) but has lately made it very difficult for highly qualified teachers with more than one or two dependents to register and attend fairs.

Good luck and just keep sending out CV's and try to make some contacts prior to the fairs.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Wow, already accepted into Search? Let us know if you got into Bangkok. I suspect you might find yourself in Toronto, Vancouver, Dubai, Sydney, or Jo'Burg, but who knows in this crazy world! LOL

Good luck on your journey and hope you get a dream position :-)
bendetwile2

Post by bendetwile2 »

@shadowjack,

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words. Yes, I was accepted into Search about 6 months ago. I was pretty surprised to be honest, but I guess they see my age and single status and think I might have a chance of making them some money! I have also been accepted into the Bangkok fair this January, which is very convenient as I will take my girlfriend on a holiday there once the fair is wrapped up. I think as long as I keep an open mind and do my homework on the schools it will be a positive experience regardless if I land a job or not. I know a lot of people will tell me I am a bit too ambitious considering my qualifications, but I have always loved a competitive challenge and this is definitely the holy grail in the teaching world. I will update this forum throughout the process.....hopefully with good news:)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Bendetwile2,

That is awesome for you! Honestly. I hope you get a position - please keep us posted. As other posters have let us know in the past, sometimes these things happen. More power to the ones it happens to :-) I sincerely hope you are one of them.

shad
momentofclarity

Post by momentofclarity »

@shadowjack

Just curious why you think there is a huge surplus of PE teachers? I make a habit of keeping up with vacancies even if I am not looking, and for the past few years PE has been one of the highest demand subjects in terms of number of vacancies, only a little behind the "core" group of E/M/S. We had to recruit a couple of PE teachers last year and my Principal was really surprised at the lack of quality candidates at both Bangkok and London. General lack of experience, lack of applicants, lack of qualifications etc. We are a well regarded school with a positive reputation (the city might be a consideration for some) but it wasn't a lack of applicants as much as a lack of quality candidates available through the database itself.

Good luck to the OP, although I think you will find your experience in Dalian has clouded your perception of what international education is. I had quite a few university friends work there after graduation and none of them remained overseas. The Maple Leaf organization is a good business model for profit based schools, but many schools are not profit based. Consider selling your experience, skills, knowledge and love of the subject,rather than what sounds like the shallow and somewhat desperate hope your looks will get you in the door. If you don't have anything intelligent, insightful or relevant to say about your subject, regardless of the school's quality, they will think twice about what you would bring besides a pretty face (that is HUGELY culturally dependent anyway).

Cheers,

MoC
bendetwile2

Post by bendetwile2 »

@MOC

Thanks for the input and I will take your advice. All the things you have listed are already in my game plan for the recruitment process. I was just emphasizing the importance of first impression and social skills that many other teachers have no idea how much that influences a hiring decision based on very limited sample size. If the director has good vibes after interviewing that applicant because of their charming personality, then that applicant stands a pretty good chance to get a second interview where the technical aspects can be discussed. The appearance and personality is the key into the room.
momentofclarity

Post by momentofclarity »

@bendetwile2 I understand the importance of first impressions, but you are underestimating the changing nature of the interviews and how fairs like Search Bangkok work. Most schools will have scouted for experience and references well ahead of the fair. My current school is asking for commitment and re-ups next week so they can begin the recruitment process in September. They usually have time for drop-in interviews for the hard to fill positions, but they will likely be seeking out previously contacted recruits for 2nd or possibly 3rd interviews after the initial interviews over Skype or similar. Getting the first impression you seem to be relying upon across via skype is going to be incredibly difficult to achieve.

Good luck in your search, I hope you are able to find what you need.

MoC