Breaking contract

Potpourri

Breaking contract

Post by Potpourri »

I recently signed on with a school at the Search fair in Cambridge.

I just visited the school. It was not what I expected, and not what I was told.

I would like to break contract with them now.

What are the chances of never being able to work for another international school.

Thanks for avdvice!
LauraT.

breaking contract

Post by LauraT. »

Have you gone back to the Agency that sponsored the fair to see if there is a measure of protection against unscrupulous schools who give misinformation to get you to sign a contract? This type of behavior seems to be problematic. I pnce signed a contract at a 'reputable' school only to have them contact me eight weeks later, stating that they mis-quoted a stipend amount in my contract and that they were "sorry" and it would be changed. As far as I am concerned, IT IS A CONTRACT! Although the actual sum was minor ($40.USD/Month) the issue is over representation and integrity. When I contacted the agency who sponsored the fair, they stated, "we don't get involved in contract disputes".
JISAlum

Re: Breaking contract

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="Potpourri"]I recently signed on with a school at the Search fair in Cambridge.

I just visited the school. It was not what I expected, and not what I was told.

I would like to break contract with them now.

What are the chances of never being able to work for another international school.

Thanks for avdvice![/quote]

There are a number of threads on breaking contract, or being blacklisted. Do a search. At the very worst I'd suspect, IMHO, you burn a bridge to Search. Not the worst thing in the world. So you have to find a job some other way- ISS, job fairs, UNI. Better to do that then work for a school that deceives it's teachers. If they mis-represented themselves to you now, what can you expect down the line when you've moved there?

If they've screwed you, they've probably done it to others as well. Ultimately the school gets a bunch of disgruntled teachers and earns a bad rep. Sounds like a great place to teach!
Potpourri

Post by Potpourri »

Okay, so I've formulated my letters to be sent to Search and to the school itself. I'm still wondering what the best approach could be - either phoning the school head first to let her know of my decision with the hope of "resolving" the issue amicably, or contacting Search directly with the probability that it will simply blow up in my face!!

I've been reading on this site. My impressions are that no matter what happens, Search will blackball me. If that is truly the case, why should I even bother to try to resolve this amicably.

Does anyone else have any similar experience - breaking contract before they've actually started working at the school?

Thanks!
scribe

breaking contract

Post by scribe »

If you were truly deceived by the school, then perhaps you won't feel too guilty about deceiving them back. In short, it would make your future with Search and overseas schools far easier if you had a family emergency that prevented you from honoring the contract. I've been at schools in dicey places where people never showed up due to "emergencies." The suspicion was it was really a form of buyer's remorse, and our head - knowing the place was not for the meek or indecisive - let them go without prejudice. Can you live with that?
The other thing you might want to examine is your own motives - are you second guessing your decision more than anything? You might be cheating yourself out of some wonderful experiences. When my husband flew into Jeddah, Saudi Arabia years ago if he could've stayed on the plane and gone back to New York, he would've. He hated the lack of greenery (at that time) and the monotone colors of all the buildings - couldn't imagine he'd EVER like it. We spent four wonderful years there and would've stayed longer if the school went beyond gr. 9.
Potpourri

Post by Potpourri »

Well, I took my own advice and decided instead of chucking it all, I'd give it a go and talk directly to the super. I called her and I think it worked out more to my advantage - let's wait and see. The adjustments made have already been faxed to me in writing.

I'll try basking in the Asian heat after all!
Potpourri
senator

Post by senator »

DON"T GO!
There are now so many schools looking for teachers that you cannot be blackballed to the point of not being able to find a job. Forget Search, try ISS (not much better, but...) UNI, maybe TIE. Life is too short to work where you are not happy. And if the school misrepresented something even before you started work, it is only just the beginning.
Please tell us the school so the rest will be able to know the truth.
iferg

Post by iferg »

Hi - We all can have second thoughts and things do change, on both sides! 90% of people involved with international education understand this and are reasonable. Be sensible, contacting the person who recruited you is a good idea as is getting your associates opinion.

Change can be dramatic and it somtetimes takes time to adjust as is evident with post in Jeddah. Don't have a negative approach. Good luck :D