Health examinations for schools in the middle east

pinkdiva

Post by pinkdiva »

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has applied for teaching positions in either Qatar or the UAE.
I recently applied and had an interview for a positon in Qatar and I was informed during the interview that I would have to have 3 medical examinations both before leaving Australia and 2 upon arrival in Qatar. The examinations were to prove my clearance of any social diseases. I found this condition to be very intrusive and I did not agree to it as I have not had to prove this requirement in any other international school applications.

As I am new to the International circuit and I am interested in applying for Middle east positions, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who could enlighten me if this is common practice and how best to prepare for this questioning. Also what is an acceptable social disease.
scribe

standard fare

Post by scribe »

When applying for visas in another country, one has to submit to their requirements. The medical tests required in Qatar are a blood test and an xray - to make sure you don't have AIDS or TB - it's done at a medical center expressly for that purpose and costs the equivalent of about $30. It has to be done in country so that they trust the test - many workers come from countries where corruption is rampant, so this precaution is reasonable. The exam you get prior to arrival is most likely for insurance coverage for your employer - again, standard fare. Similar tests have been required of us in other countries as well. So, far less intrusive than it sounds.
saucerer

medicals

Post by saucerer »

If you want to work on the international school circuit, you'd better get used to it - it is a pre-requisite in many countries, a standard practice. In my third country now and in each have had to undertake - in country - HIV test, chest x-ray, even in one country cardiograph, eye test - colourblindness, hearing test.
intlguest

Post by intlguest »

A school in eastern Europe required the same - HIV test and doctor's certificate that I didn't have any social diseases. I didn't mind. I don't think the school informed me of this during the interview, but later after I had signed a contract and they gave me my list of things I needed to get done before arriving in the country. Again, I didn't mind at all.

I agree with the previous poster - get used to this kind of thing in international teaching.
10/6

Post by 10/6 »

This is indeed "standard" in the Middle East (UAE, Kuwait) and Eastern Europe, for example. The ME requires HIV, TB and Malaria. Eastern Europe requires HIV, chest x-rays and a cursory "skin examination". Just a glance at the inside skin on your arm and its all over! Nothing intrusive. The clinics for this purpose in Kuwait are most off-putting, but once it is done, you can forget about it.