Week Without Walls--Need New Ideas

Beemarcus

Week Without Walls--Need New Ideas

Post by Beemarcus »

Not the "normal" topic, but I suspect many good ideas could come from this group.

Our high school, like many international high schools, sponsors a week without walls, a chance for students and teachers leave campus or the country and experience new things. No doubt many of you have been on these trips more than you care to count. I've just been on a handful and thoroughly enjoyed them. Our school (in Asia) seems to be stuck in rut of same or similar overseas trips each year, and I'd love to shake it up a bit this year with some new ideas I can use and share with others. Curious what destinations any of you have gone to that were unusually good experiences/locations for your students. Of course service learning is always popular in IB school like ours, but we're open to adventure, cultural and educational trips too. I know there are many companies that offer trips, and many are very good, but we'd also love to look for other connections to organizations that might be off the radar but providing rich opportunities for students. Any suggestions in Asia/Pacific region would be most welcome.
mysharona

Re: Week Without Walls--Need New Ideas

Post by mysharona »

One trip that I have had described to me but never been on is sponsored by Asia Pacific Adventures out of Hong Kong. Apparently they do an Amazing Race type of trip around Hong Kong where teams of students are given a destination, a task and money and then told to get to wherever then need to be. Again, I haven't actually been on this trip but it sounded great when described to me.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Borneo, Cambodia, East Timor, and Mongolia
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

Our High School group went to Nepal this year - said it was an awesome experience.
gibwise

Post by gibwise »

Our School runs a Grade 10 Science/Humanities trip with http://ecofieldtrips.com.sg/. It was personally well worth doing, The most educationally relevant trip I have been on and EFT tailored what we did to our needs.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I can recommend Village Camps very highly. They do adventurous trips in Switzerland, France, England and China.
http://www.villagecamps.com/
My school has used them for 6 years now and they always provide an excellent experience.
Phone and have a chat with Nick Tranter in Switzerland.